Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Are you wondering if you have algae or pollen/dirt/etc?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, accumulations keep reoccuring, I have no CC and there are lot's of trees around my pool.

18 78.26%
  • Yes, accumulations keep reoccuring, I have no CC and there are no trees around my pool.

4 17.39%
  • Yes, accumulations keep reoccuring and I have CC.

1 4.35%

Thread: Lot's of pollen/stuff in pool floors?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lot's of pollen/stuff in pool floors?

Many people are reporting accumulations of gunk on the pool floor this year. Some are posting pictures that look very similar. My dad's pool has this as well, looks just like most pictures, like this one I stole from firefly's post -

I thought I'd throw up a poll to see if there was common ground. Maybe it will tell us something, maybe it won't

2. Back To Top    #2

Is it just me, or does this seem to be more prevelant in above ground pools?
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Not sure but I can tell you that this year is the worst I have ever seen for that. On the flip side, I have never seen our fruit trees with so much fruit, the ornamentals bloomed like mad, etc. Its the climate.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    For me, this year, I'm noticing it more....only one tree in the yard tho I suppose it could be blowing over from the neighbor's.... but definetly more noticeable than prior years....either that or my OCPD is worse this year....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Is that a dirty pool or what!!
    I have no trees in my yard...only hedges.....and I gotta vacuum every day to keep it clean
    Long time BaquaXXX user and hating it,
    15X30 AG, 11,000GAL, Hayward Xtreme filter, SWG in place, conversion almost over!

6. Back To Top    #6
    For those without trees in the immediate vicinity, are there big trees somewhere upwind of the prevailing wind direction for your area?

7. Back To Top    #7
    I really think that taking a sample and placing it in a glass jar helps alot with identification. This year seems to be pretty bad with pollen. We had several large spring blooms followed by one summer blooms (on the trees) that started a few weeks ago. I expect a few more to follow...but spring was the worst so far.

I looked to chlorine drop (and visual accumulation) more so than CC. A few times the CC raised up, but most times they stayed at zero.

dan
    33' Aqua-Leader AGP
    Hayward cartridge filter and IntelliFlo VS pump.
    Solar Heat coming ; used to own Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Aqua-Rite t-15 SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    I just voted and my pool is in inground. I posted appearance info in a thread under "algae" in case some of you want to compare. I'm vacuuming every other day. My FC and use of PQ60 is too high to allow algae to live - I think!

Jim
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.

9. Back To Top    #9
    I think until someone vaccuums, covers their pool then sees if it shows up on the cover or back in the pool, we won't ever know for sure if this stuff is pollen or mustard algae of some sort...

10. Back To Top    #10

That doesn't look anything like what is in my pool. I'm pretty sure I have algae. What is in mine showed up while we were on vacation and the pool was covered.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

11. Back To Top    #11
    yellow dust on the bottom is yellow algae not pollen

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by poolio
    yellow dust on the bottom is yellow algae not pollen
    Not true, it can be either. We have confirmed cases of both this season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Same problem here also...also have lots of trees.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yellow stuff at the bottom can definitely be pollen, as mine was pollen.
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

15. Back To Top    #15

I seem to have the same thing. Can all of us have the same thing nationwide? Seems weird? I do fall into the category of having tall trees in close proximity to my inground pool.

Is anyone else experiencing a slimy liner? I noticed the liner to get slimy last week, brushed it and everything seemed fine. 4 days later it is slimy again and I am noticing these grey accumulations at the bottom of the pool. Related? I don't know. The grey gunk (for lack of a better term) appears to look like powder or dirt. It does not appear to be attached to the liner but seems to be there in abundance. It appears to be some sort of settling vs. anything alive.

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone has solved the mystery, please chime in.

My last #s are as follows:
    FC 3
    CC 0
    TC 3
    PH 7.5
    Alkalinity 100
    CYA 35
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

16. Back To Top    #16
    Craig...I'd appreciate if you can get a sample in a squeeze bottle and send it to me. I'd love to compare it with a few others. Thanks!

dan
    33' Aqua-Leader AGP
    Aqua-Rite t-15 SWG

17. Back To Top    #17

One thing I forgot to mention. My pool installer warned me of using a solar cover during spells of hot weather, as it could cause "algae problems". I quickly dismissed this coment, but am now reconsidering. Is anyone else using solar covers? Any truth to this statement?
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

18. Back To Top    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmarsh
    Yellow stuff at the bottom can definitely be pollen, as mine was pollen.
    Hi Wolfmarsh,

I think the yellow stuff could definitely be pollen in some cases. But I think that treating it as algae (yellow if that's the case) is the best course of action...until you can prove that it isn't algae. The most prudent way I can think of treating an unknown yellow substance in the bottom of the pool is to bring the pool to mustard shock levels (which are a bit higher than normal shock level for green algae). Then maintain these levels. Also check your chlorine levels to see if there is any chlorine consumption over night. But I wouldn't use this as the only indicator because I've sen some threads where people who described what might be real mustard algae with little or no chlorine drop overnight.

Also...as early as you can try to get a sample of the product. Put it in a small glass jar and let it settle. Once it settles in the jar you may get a better idea of what it looks like. You can also leave it in the sun (partially shaded) and see if it spreads or grows after a week or two. If you're able to you can send me a private message if your able to send some of the sample to me for examination too. After these few tests...If your confident that it's pollen or dirt...let the chlorine levels drop and see how things progress. If it is pollen you'll still want to run your filter alot...vacuum to waste and clean your filter often if it's a cartridge filter.

that's just my $.02

dan
    33' Aqua-Leader AGP
    Aqua-Rite t-15 SWG

19. Back To Top    #19
    Sorry this is a little off topic.

is that and above ground pool picture, because that is the wierdest main drain i have ever seen, i dont think you could show me one more strange, that one looks like a bath tub drain.