Pool Closing - To Add Anti-Freeze Or Not?

jjtsl

Sep 8, 2009
I've talked to different pool owners and pool stores, and there is no consistent answer. Slightly more than half say to add, the rest say it is unnecessary. We do get freezing conditions up here, so I'm inclined to think it is additional insurance, although now I'm not so convinced anymore.

Welcome to TFP!!

Here's my take on antifreeze for winterizing.

1) IF you blow ALL the water out of the line, you don't NEED antifreeze. (Air contracts when it gets to freezing temps :wink: )

2) If the lines run BELOW the frost line, you can blow MOST of the water out of the line and not NEED antifreeze - as long as there is nowhere in the frost line that might be full of 'puddled' water.

3) If you're not sure if you've met the conditions in 1 and 2 Add enough antifreeze to protect the pipes!! :hammer: $12 - 20 is a small investment to protect your pipes - if they have to be replaced you're looking at hundreds (probably at least $1000) to find the leak and repair the pipe, and possibly jackhammer some of the deck and replace that (which will FOREVER show as a patch :puker: :pukel:

IMO - if the lines are blown correctly and fully, you won't need the antifreeze, but I'd rather not take the chance of not having it in there :)

Again, welcome here - and have a great winter (with no pipe damage :mrgreen: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.