winterizing question in central Indiana

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
We always have the pool company close our pool to the tune of about $650. Most of that cost is 80 gallons of anti-freeze. Is that even a realistic number? I have always wondered if they are actually putting that much in since it seems like a ton! We have an electrical autocover that needs a high water level (at least 1/2 way up skimmer) to support it. I read pool school on lowering the water level and don't see how that is a possiblity for us with the cover. Are we doomed to paying this huge fee every fall?!

I have a similar sized pool not too far south of you, and I only use 5 or 6 gallons of antifreeze when I close my pool. I lower the water level below the skimmer, but only to make it easier to blow the water out of the skimmer line. Mine spends most of the winter with the water higher than that from rain and snow. What do they do with all the antifreeze?

Good question! I have no idea, but that is what they charge me for. We do have 6 returns in the pool and an in-floor cleaning system with 3 pop-up heads. I haven't watched them closely when they are doing the closing, but they do not drain any water. It looks like when they see the blue antifreeze come out the returns they cap them off. Our equipment is on the side of the house which is probably a 40 foot run for those lines to the pool. Do you keep your pool covered at all during the winter?

Well, 1 gallon is 231 cubic inches. 80 gallons is 18,480 cubic inches.
One foot of 2" pipe = L x pi x r x r = 12in. x 3.14 x 1in. x 1in. = 37.68 cu. in./ft of pipe.
So, 18480cu. in. /37.68 cu. in./ft of pipe = 490 ft of pipe.

Or enough for twelve forty-foot runs of 2" pipe. Obviously more if you have smaller pipe.

Sounds fishy to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.