Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: winterizing question in central Indiana

1. Back To Top    #1

winterizing question in central Indiana

We always have the pool company close our pool to the tune of about $650. Most of that cost is 80 gallons of anti-freeze. Is that even a realistic number? I have always wondered if they are actually putting that much in since it seems like a ton! We have an electrical autocover that needs a high water level (at least 1/2 way up skimmer) to support it. I read pool school on lowering the water level and don't see how that is a possiblity for us with the cover. Are we doomed to paying this huge fee every fall?!
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: winterizing question in central Indiana

I have a similar sized pool not too far south of you, and I only use 5 or 6 gallons of antifreeze when I close my pool. I lower the water level below the skimmer, but only to make it easier to blow the water out of the skimmer line. Mine spends most of the winter with the water higher than that from rain and snow. What do they do with all the antifreeze?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Good question! I have no idea, but that is what they charge me for. We do have 6 returns in the pool and an in-floor cleaning system with 3 pop-up heads. I haven't watched them closely when they are doing the closing, but they do not drain any water. It looks like when they see the blue antifreeze come out the returns they cap them off. Our equipment is on the side of the house which is probably a 40 foot run for those lines to the pool. Do you keep your pool covered at all during the winter?
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, 1 gallon is 231 cubic inches. 80 gallons is 18,480 cubic inches.
    One foot of 2" pipe = L x pi x r x r = 12in. x 3.14 x 1in. x 1in. = 37.68 cu. in./ft of pipe.
    So, 18480cu. in. /37.68 cu. in./ft of pipe = 490 ft of pipe.

Or enough for twelve forty-foot runs of 2" pipe. Obviously more if you have smaller pipe.

Sounds fishy to me.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jmlodin
    Do you keep your pool covered at all during the winter?
    I use a Loop-Loc mesh cover during the winter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat