cloudy water

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I opened the the pool today to cloudy water. Test results are PH 6.8, TA 110 and FC 0. Obviously I need to start shocking right away but have a question about the PH. I know that level is way too low, so do I add borax at the same time as bleach? If so does that need to be dissolved in water first? Basically I am unsure if I tackle both problems simultaneously.

Thanks.

Raise the PH first, using borax to 7.4 then shock the pool. It's not uncommon if the pool was covered for a long period to see the PH drop down. Pre-dissolve the borax in a bucket of pool water and then pour in front of the return. Brush for a little while to distribute it.

Retest the PH in about an hour and adjust if necessary. Wait until the PH is where you want to begin shocking, because FC levels above 10 will make the PH read a false high. Don't try to adjust PH if the FC is above 10 because the readings won't be accurate.

Once the PH is where you want it you can begin to shock. Leave the pool uncovered while you are shocking.

Ok, first dose of borax has been added. Now I need more help! I just checked CYA since I hadn't checked since the beginning of the season when it was 30. I am not sure where it is now because the black dot was very visible even when the water was filled to the top which is less than 30. Is this a problem? We will be closing the pool in the next month. Any advice on what to use for a shock level?

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.