Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how long?

1. Back To Top    #1

how long?

how long is it ok to leave your pool drained and uncovered when closing for the winter? we have drained the water down, did that on Sunday, how long before we should cover it and forget it?
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how long?

I assume you mean you drained below the skimmer? I would cover it within 24-48 hours - the sun consume most of the chlorine you have added and you won't have much to protect you from turning green...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Your thoughts on leaving uncovered all winter??? we are going to replace the liner in the spring as it has a leak in a bottom seam. Figure if we leave it uncovered we could make sure it doesnt get to low on water. Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on this idea?
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I've read posts from people who don't cover in all areas of the country, including Minnesota/Canada. If you are replacing the liner in the spring, I wouldn't bother to cover (if it were my pool I wouldn't either).
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

My experience is, in the midwest, we still have WAY too many leaves to drop and unless you want to spend MANY MANY MANY HOURS, pulling all kinds of goop and slime and gunk out of your pool next spring, COVER IT! If you are replacing the liner yourself, you have your hands full just with that, you don't want to be spending all the extra time and energy it will take to do your prep work IMHO.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

This is true, when I say I wouldn't bother to cover, I would still tend to it, scooping any organics and adding bleach now and then to avoid a swampy mess....

7. Back To Top    #7

If you don't have trees or other organics that can get in it, then its probably ok to leave it uncovered. If you have trees nearby, get it covered ASAP.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!