How does a pump go bad?

May 31, 2009
Houston, TX
I have a Hayward Super II self priming pump. I think I may be having some issues with. It seems like its not pumping water from the pool to it's full potential. The line from the pool to the pump does not seem to be obstructed, used a water weenie. If the pump were going bad, is it possible for it to be "weak" or would it just stop working all together? I am not getting any pressure at the filter and return flow is weak. I have replaced several gaskets at the pump and the filter thinking it may be an air leak....no dice.

Any ideas?

sS

I have removed and inspected the impeller, no clogs no damage. The impeller seals and other gaskets seem to be in good shape, I am going to replace them anyways (why not i've been replacing everything else). Once I do that, all the seals gaskets and plugs at the pump housing will be new. I have replaced the gasket and washer on the multi-valse, and the o-ring inside the filter. Theres not much left to change out. I still have low flow coming into the pump housing, and low flow with some air bubbles going out to the pool. I have put a water weenie on every pipe I can access and there seems to be no blockage.

:rant: :grrrr: :hammer: :hammer: :grrrr: :rant:

sS

A question that maybe should have been asked earlier: Why do you think it is having "issues"? Have you noticed a diminished flow (and could it be switched to solar or something else that would slow it down) or have another indication that it has changed?

Bruce

The pump housing does not fill up with water. Ocassionaly it looks like it is going to fill up then drops down. Not enough flow for the filter to work properly if it even fills up completely, no pressure registering at the gauge. Gauge typically reads 10-12 PSI with fresh backwash and DE replacement. I cleaned the old DE from the filter and replaced with fresh DE. The flow is so weak that the filter grids did not get completely coated. Another low flow observation....I have a flexible line going to the booster pump, the return flow is so weak that when the booster pump kicks on the flexible line collapses from the suction created.

Going to get a couple things later today. If they don't work, i'm callin in for some help.

sS

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would try to bypass all your current plumbing together. Make temporary supply and return lines and hook it up and see how the pump runs then. that way you can eliminate everything except for the pump itself.

scubasteve said:
I have removed and inspected the impeller, no clogs no damage. The impeller seals and other gaskets seem to be in good shape, I am going to replace them anyways (why not i've been replacing everything else). Once I do that, all the seals gaskets and plugs at the pump housing will be new. I have replaced the gasket and washer on the multi-valse, and the o-ring inside the filter. Theres not much left to change out. I still have low flow coming into the pump housing, and low flow with some air bubbles going out to the pool. I have put a water weenie on every pipe I can access and there seems to be no blockage.

:rant: :grrrr: :hammer: :hammer: :grrrr: :rant:

sS

You say the plugs are new. Does that include the drain plug on the suction side of the housing? Did you seal that with teflon or a gasket?

X-PertPool said:
I would try to bypass all your current plumbing together. Make temporary supply and return lines and hook it up and see how the pump runs then. that way you can eliminate everything except for the pump itself.

You hit the nail on the head right there. After a grueling day of &^#!%ing with the pump and motor and then a loaner pump and motor, we decided to run a pipe direct from the pool to the pump. BINGO!! It seems I have a crack/leak/break of some sort somewhere between the skimmer and where the line pops up to go into the pump. Heaven forbid (oh please oh please forbid!) that the break is between the bottom drain and the skimmer.

The pool is running nicely, and I am going to have my hands full bringing it back to life. In the meantime, I am going to be busting out some pool apron and doin a whole lotta diggin to find out exactly where the problem is :hammer:

I have a sense of relief knowing what I know now. I had been wrestling with this for about a month and it was REALLY starting to wear on me. Now I just have to get my mind wrapped around how I am going to fix this.

sS

No valves.

Before I put a shovel in the ground, I am going to make another attempt at clearing the line. I have water weenied it but I am going to put air pressure from the pump side and see if i can blow out a clog, if any. I want to be absoulutely sure that I need to replace the pipe and or skimmer before i start doing any excavation.

sS

Is the water weenie you are referring to one of those rubber bladder devices you connect to a garden hose to which inflates tightly in a pipe and pushes a clog out? You could still have something clogging the pipe, yet have enough water still going around the clogging object.

Case in point is my pool service person just ran into something unusual. They had a customer that continually complained this year about not enough flow through the system. Finally they took a high volume blower and blew backwards from the pump end back into the skimmer. Out popped a landscaping rock. So apparently a landscaping rock got sucked up in the spring when the owner was vacuuming the pool (could not see the bottom because it was spring cleanup). That rock stayed stuck in the skimmer line most of the summer.

So there was flow, just not ENOUGH flow. You might want to try a plumber's snake to see if there is something in the line.

alben said:
Is the water weenie you are referring to one of those rubber bladder devices you connect to a garden hose to which inflates tightly in a pipe and pushes a clog out? You could still have something clogging the pipe, yet have enough water still going around the clogging object.

Case in point is my pool service person just ran into something unusual. They had a customer that continually complained this year about not enough flow through the system. Finally they took a high volume blower and blew backwards from the pump end back into the skimmer. Out popped a landscaping rock. So apparently a landscaping rock got sucked up in the spring when the owner was vacuuming the pool (could not see the bottom because it was spring cleanup). That rock stayed stuck in the skimmer line most of the summer.

So there was flow, just not ENOUGH flow. You might want to try a plumber's snake to see if there is something in the line.

Yes, that is exactly what the water weenie is.

You said High Volume Blower....do you mean a leaf blower? That just may be the type of air pressure that I am looking for. I was thinking of using my air compressor and constructing some type of fitting to blow the air through. But a leaf blower just may be what I need....hmmmmm.

sS

Yes, a leaf blower would be good. High volume of air, but not excessive pressure. Aircompressors are just the opposite. Low volume, but high pressure. Be very careful when using air compressors when used with piping. Pool piping may be able to withstand 60psi, but not more. A standard air compressor can produce a pressure of 100psi, which could blow apart a plastic pipe. Leaf blower would be a better tool to use.

You may want a good wet/dry vac, some strong fishing line, wiffle golf ball. Suck line from pump to skimmer, attach ball in pump end, pull to skimmer. Remove torpedo(or your case maybe a rock?) that would not get sucked or blown out. Test ball on some elbows and valves to make sure it will fit through piping, a rag will work too(you want anything that will move through the pipe and catch/move what is in the way.) You don't mention water loss, or dirt coming in, so you probably don't have a busted line.
Good Luck, and Best Wishes!

New2Me said:
You may want a good wet/dry vac, some strong fishing line, wiffle golf ball. Suck line from pump to skimmer, attach ball in pump end, pull to skimmer. Remove torpedo(or your case maybe a rock?) that would not get sucked or blown out. Test ball on some elbows and valves to make sure it will fit through piping, a rag will work too(you want anything that will move through the pipe and catch/move what is in the way.) You don't mention water loss, or dirt coming in, so you probably don't have a busted line.
Good Luck, and Best Wishes!

I think I may do that just to be sure I don't have anything in that line.

I drained my pool down to where I could put air through the line and see if anything came out. I did find an acorn and some leaves but nothing else. There may have been more b/c i wasn't standing AT the skimmer watching the entire time the leaf blower was on. After the blower, I water weenied the line again from the pump end of the line. The flow looked suprisingly good.

I am more confident now that there are no restrictions in the line. But I am going to try and pull a rag through the line just to be sure. If all is well, I will refill the pool and see what good I have done.

Thanks for the suggestions.

sS

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.