INTELLIFLO OR 2 SPEED PUMP FOR TOTAL CONTROL AUTOPILOT?

rmklaw

Aug 27, 2009
I am an newbie and this is my first post after reading the experts for months. I have a 30,000 galon in-ground with a SWG Autopilot Total Control, with solar heating and a Barracuda G3 cleaner. All these is driven by a whisperflo 1.5 HP (going bad). Escalating power costs are a concern. I run the pump 6 hours a day and with the Autopilot SC-60 cell, I have plenty of chlorine generation capacity to spare (running at 30-40% purifier output).

NOW FOR THE QUESTION: I am replacing the pump and trying to decide between a new Pentair 2 HP 2-speed versus the Intelliflo VF. I like the VF for the high power cost savings. However, I am concerned that I will not take full advantage of the automation and multiple flow/speed capability. I am thinking of the 2-speed alternative because the Autopilot allows for controlling a single or a 2-speed pump automatically. My limited knowledge tells me that the VF cannot be controlled from the Autopilot automatically unless I spend a lot of money in another controller (don't know which one). The desired result is to run the filtration in low speed and the cleaner in high speed automatically SAVING ELECTRICITY.

Do I lose a lot of saving by going with the 2-speed?
Is there a way to control the VF pump inexpensively without my wife having to turn gate valves to close the cleaner?
Is it necessary to change the cleaner/drain/strainer diverter valve from vaccum to pool or viceversa when changing speeds?
What is the best option? My solar heat is controlled separate by a dedicated controller.

Thank you in advance for your collective wisdom. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Richard

Custom 30,000 Sandpiper pool
Autopilot Total Control
Pentair Size 48" DE SS filter
Whisperflo 1.5 HP
Solar heating + Pentair gas
SPA with water feature from spa to pool

Intelliflo 4x160 is probably your solution. The VF is just too complicated, and runs on it's own fancy little control panel. You need to make sure your control system is capable of handling numerous speeds if you want to alternate on a timer between speeds. Otherwise, you can still use it, you just have to push the speed you want (4 buttons to choose from) when you want to change the speed. Very good unit, and more savings than a 2 speed. You shouldn't have to change any valves or anything. The 4x160 will prime in a low speed, it just takes longer, but won't burn out the pump while it's trying. You'll just run the pump much longer during the day, simply at a lower speed; Low speed = drawing significantly fewer amps with less resistance = less energy, even if it runs all day. When you want your spa jets to work or you want the water to move fast if you're adding chemicals, just push the button on the pump to a higher setting. Very simple, and incredibly energy efficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.