Is it unusual

Is partial draining/refilling a big hassle for you?

If not, you might experiment with bumping your CYA up to see if you can hold on to your chlorine, and if it doesn't work any better, drain and refill as needed to get it back down if you want.

Rangeball said:
Is partial draining/refilling a big hassle for you?

If not, you might experiment with bumping your CYA up to see if you can hold on to your chlorine, and if it doesn't work any better, drain and refill as needed to get it back down if you want.

nope, a partial drain/refilll, if you mean maybe down to the skimmer value (which would be a little over a quarter of the pool) wouldn't be a big deal.

I might just try and bump it up to say 60-70 by adding another 1.75 pound jar of Stablizer at $6.99 a jar.

That should get me to 70.

But, I'm only going to have the pool up until maybe the first week of September, when the children go back to school, so again it might be just as cost effective as keeping it at 35 CYA, and just adding bleach everyday to get it to 8FC overnight. That would be about 52 ounces if it gets down to 4FC everyday.

Assuming 6%, 6 weeks x 52 oz = 2184 oz / 96 oz (3/4 g jug) = 23 (rounded up from 22.75) jugs x $1.18 (what I buy them for) = $27.14 plus tax :)

If you can cut your consumption in half, you'd save about $15, but have to spend $7 on CYA so you net $8 or so...

That's a 6 pack of a good micro brew... :)

Rangeball said:
That's a 6 pack of a good micro brew... :)

ur funny !! :lol:

now, let's do the cost if I have to drain/re-fill afterwards and the very high cost of water where I live.

but, then again, if I did try the higher CYA, and it didn't work, I wouldn't bother draining/refilling, since it'll only be up until September.

rpgman said:
Rangeball said:
With only 48' of depth to work with, you aren't getting as much protection from UV as you would with a deeper pool.

Plus, you mention 100* days, are you in a souther latitude? Higher temps plus higher UV based on your location might be a double whammy.

Others in similar situations have reported taking their CYA up as high as 80 and finding much better chlorine protection. Something you might want to consider, possibly.

yea, in Florence , South Carolina, it's 90 today here with a UV index of 9 (Very High).

Hey, I'm in Florence SC too!

Gonna be 97 today!

jnorris said:
rpgman said:
Rangeball said:
With only 48' of depth to work with, you aren't getting as much protection from UV as you would with a deeper pool.

Plus, you mention 100* days, are you in a souther latitude? Higher temps plus higher UV based on your location might be a double whammy.

Others in similar situations have reported taking their CYA up as high as 80 and finding much better chlorine protection. Something you might want to consider, possibly.

yea, in Florence , South Carolina, it's 90 today here with a UV index of 9 (Very High).

Hey, I'm in Florence SC too!

Gonna be 97 today!

yea, I noticed that it will be in the high 90's last night and bumped my FC up to 9 last night....

it was 8.5 as of 6am this morning, so it should be ok until I get home and check it after I go to the gym.

jnorris said:
rpgman said:
Wolfmarsh said:
Im down in Summerville, SC looking outside of my office window wishing i was in the pool.

u and me both !! :roll:

Just got out! Water is almost too warm to enjoy. The only time 90 degree pool water feels good is when it's 70 degrees outside!

mine was only about 84 degrees, and from what I was told by my wife and children, it was wonderful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.