With Good Levels, is it possible to still get algae?

jeffbg

Jul 29, 2008
My levels have been good and steady now for weeks, but I'm wondering if it is still possible to get algae and if I need to be doing drop tests at night periodically just to check on things.

My FC has never dropped below 4, my CYA is around 65, pH is under control at 7.6-7.6.

-- jeff

I confess I don't test daily. Actually I've been very lazy lately and am surprised my pool frankly isn't pea-green.... :oops: (its been over a week....)

Truth be told after a couple years on BBB you really do get to know your pool, and daily testing becomes rarer and rarer.... in the heat of the summer I make a point of testing at least every 2-3 days.

my water is sparkly and clear, my FC has always been kept within the CYA/chlorine range but I do an overnite drop test every couple of months just for my peace of mind. It's up to you if you do an overnite test or not. Remember that if you do, don't forget to turn off the SWG a few hours before you take the evening sample and not back on until after you take the morning sample.

I leave my solar cover on for days and days and don't get algae from it. Every pool is unique but I wouldn't pinpoint general solar cover use as the culprit in a particular situation. However, if a solar cover is infected and chlorine drops too low it can be the source of an outbreak.

As a general statement, leaving the solar cover on for days at a time will not necessarily cause algae. It might however, lower the PH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.