Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: With Good Levels, is it possible to still get algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

With Good Levels, is it possible to still get algae?

My levels have been good and steady now for weeks, but I'm wondering if it is still possible to get algae and if I need to be doing drop tests at night periodically just to check on things.

My FC has never dropped below 4, my CYA is around 65, pH is under control at 7.6-7.6.

-- jeff
    15,000 gal SWG pool, cartridge filter, all pentair equipment, variable speed pump, 400K BTU heater and spa, pebbletec finished

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: With Good Levels, is it possible to still get algae?

I confess I don't test daily. Actually I've been very lazy lately and am surprised my pool frankly isn't pea-green.... (its been over a week....)

Truth be told after a couple years on BBB you really do get to know your pool, and daily testing becomes rarer and rarer.... in the heat of the summer I make a point of testing at least every 2-3 days.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

my water is sparkly and clear, my FC has always been kept within the CYA/chlorine range but I do an overnite drop test every couple of months just for my peace of mind. It's up to you if you do an overnite test or not. Remember that if you do, don't forget to turn off the SWG a few hours before you take the evening sample and not back on until after you take the morning sample.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, however it is should be traceable to other reasons. I have had perfect levels, left my solar cover on for 2-3 days and got algae. Solar covers do not allow pools to oxidate correctly.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I leave my solar cover on for days and days and don't get algae from it. Every pool is unique but I wouldn't pinpoint general solar cover use as the culprit in a particular situation. However, if a solar cover is infected and chlorine drops too low it can be the source of an outbreak.

As a general statement, leaving the solar cover on for days at a time will not necessarily cause algae. It might however, lower the PH.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com