Travertine Pavers installation question

Sep 21, 2009
First, let me state that I am located in N Texas.

I am looking at embarking on building a salt water pool. This pool will be floated above the grade by about 24" in order to be at the same height as my pier and beam house foundataion, allowing us to walk out of the house onto patio that exists and then walk out onto the pool at same height. This poses some issues for coping installation.

As I understand the best way to install travertine pavers is on top of crush rock and polymeric sand. And I believe this would be the best solution if my pool deck was at grade, but given it will be 24" above grade, it would need to be filled in with something. I have been told the best way to do this would be to place a concrete base that is tied into my existing raised patio 24" above the grade where the pool would be. If that is the case, is it best to just thin set the travertine pavers on top of the concrete?

Another question I have is what are the different types of travertine pavers. I've seen them referred to as Pool pavers or just pavers. Is there a difference?
I can purchase tumbled travertine pavers for less than $5/sqft. Are these the same as what is used for pool pavers. Does it just come down to what you seal them with?
I was actually looking at having the pool company give me a surface that I could place the pavers on and do it myself, but many questions arose as to what is the best means given my raised pool off grade.

Given being build in N texas and it will be a salt water pool, what recommendations can you make?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I can not quite get a good picture of your installation but I can answer your question.

Any tile must be placed on an inert, solid, non compressible surface....i.e. masonry.

Whatever you have to do to provide this solid, immovable surface will result in a successful installation. If there is any movement, expansion and contraction included, or settling, the tile installation will fail.

While it is not a certainty, I would consider travertine a poor choice for outdoor installation. The freeze thaw cycle of N Texas may (or may not) create major problems. Water can easily get into the holes of travertine and when water freezes, it expands. Again, you may not have any issues with it and an experienced tile person in your area will have the best advice.

The best Tile forum on the net is Johnbridge.com. (Just like we're the best swimming pool forum :lol: ) You may get a more detailed answer about the tile there but be sure to come back as your build progresses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.