Solar Cover question

AV8TOR

Dec 6, 2008
Fort Worth TX
I have a question about using as solar cover. In the end of the season like now in Texas where it can still be 90º during the day but the evening temps are getting in the 70's is it best to leave the cover on during the hot of the day or off then cover it during the evening? Which will warm the water better? I am asking specifically on the Blue cover if it make a difference.

My understanding is that the solar cover is not really so much a heat collector (unless you have a really dark one) as a heat-loss preventer. I think if you want to maximize heating in the conditions you describe, you'd want the cover off during the day and on at night, so the sun can do its best to warm the water and you don't lose as much in the cool of the night.
--paulr

I'm in Denton and what works best for me is to leave my blue cover on when the pool isn't being used. Keep in mind wind will cool it quite a bit. At least it cools mine. Leaving the pool covered keeps my evaporation rate and CL usage down so I avoid spending money on fill water and can run my swg even lower. Plus, my cover is 20 x 40 and not a joy to manipulate without help. There may be some benefit to covering/uncovering everyday but I'm usually too busy for that. I tend to think a pool probably heats faster on a calm sunny day uncovered. I've never tracked the difference though. I will say that the cover does extend the swim season on both ends much cheaper than fossil-fueled heater methods.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.