How do I vacuum to waste using a Cartridge Filter?

Sep 14, 2009
I have a Hayward Xstream Cartridge Filter Model CC1000 with a separate pump. Is there a way I can vacuum to waste? I've been having a major algae problem due to neglect from the previous homeowners and everytime I vacuum, the filter spits this white residue back into the pool making the water extremely cloudy once again. I'm hoping if I can vacuum to waste, it will help solve that problem, but I have no idea how to do so with my filter.

There's no way to actually vacuum to waste with that filter. However, Hayward makes a SP0727 diverter valve for it that can be installed so that you can bypass the filter. It installs between the pump and filter.

Here's a pic of it.
4820-63.gif

Found these 2 replies in another post. You could try one of these methods:

frustratedpoolmom Post subject: Re: Another Baquacil conversionPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:07 am
Mod Squad

Location: SWSuburban Chicago, IL Report this postReply with quote

I have a cart too. Couple weeks ago, after 8 years of pool ownership I "discovered" how I can vacume to waste. Sorta left me going "duh"...

Anyway we had recently had heavy rains....the water in the pool had risen to the top rail. I wanted to drain the water out. I took the vacume hose and left one end on the grass. I took the other end and held it up to the return to "prime" it. The water flows out the hose and exits the pool - the syphon action continued the flow. I kept the hose end under the water, and attached it to my (manual) vacume head, then attached the pole and lowered it to the pool floor. By keeping the hose primed the water kept flowing. I vacumed the pool that way, and the water level lowered about 3 inches and I was able to do the whole pool!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my lightbulb moment....

150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com

Debstar60 Post subject: Re: Another Baquacil conversionPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 am

I also have a cart. filter,what I did was take the hose loose where it attaches back to the pool after going through the filter (the eyeball).It still goes through the filter but not back into the pool. I vacuumed on low speed.

Deb

Does your cartridge filter have a plug in the bottom that you can remove?

On mine, I remove the plug and turn off the return.
The water comes from the pool and exits out the bottom of the filter. None goes back to the pool (or through the filter).
It makes a mess around the filter pad, but it works.
(you could probably hook a hose or something up to that filter drain, but I haven't tried it)

i have a question about this. i have a cartridge filter and above the pump there is a regular spiget. could i hook up a waterhose to this and vacuum to waste like this? if this would work would i also have to turn off the returns to the pool? thanks.

The only issues with the spigot is that you'd have to figure out how to turn off the return(s) as you said, and it may be too small to allow for good vacuuming. Most of those faucets are severely restricted internally and would have a great deal of head loss and therefore the vacuum will be greatly reduced when trying to pump through it.

I actually figured out a way to vacuum to waste with a paper cartridge and it's cheap but it does take two people. Use either a funnel or a margarine container with a whole cut out of the side. Get a small vacuum hose and either put the hose in the funnel and put the funnel near the return IN the pool with the other end of the hose Out of the pool, so when you vacuum, the water will still come through the return, but be caught in the funnell, into the hose, and OUT over the side. Same theory with the container, you just have to put that over the return with the vacuum hose iin the hole, with the other end of the hose over the rim of the pool out on the grass. Same concept as backwashing but since you cannot do that with a paper cartridge, this does the trick for those small particles that come back into the pool when vacuuming.

I took the vacume hose and left one end on the grass. I took the other end and held it up to the return to "prime" it. The water flows out the hose and exits the pool - the syphon action continued the flow. I kept the hose end under the water, and attached it to my (manual) vacume head, then attached the pole and lowered it to the pool floor. By keeping the hose primed the water kept flowing. I vacumed the pool that way, and the water level lowered about 3 inches and I was able to do the whole pool!

When I read this post, it changed my life. lol. I was able to this twice before and it worked beautifully. But last night I was unable to get the siphon action going. As long as I held the one end to the return, the water flowed out the other end onto the grass but as soon as I took it off the return (but still under water) the water would stop flowing. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I was frustrated to the point of tears. I'm probably missing something very simple but any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Tara

~10,400 Gal. (21' Round) AG Pool
Cartridge Filter (90sq.ft.)
Cheap 1HP Pump, One Speed
Old Pool, New Owner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.