Keeping the vacum Head on the telescopic Pole

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
Hi all!

Silly question but everytime I manually vacum my pool, I seem to seperate the vacum head from the telescopic pole. The vacum head does snap on with butterfly clips however they do not seem to hold.

Perhaps my technique is part of the problem? 1- I remove the skimmer basket so the plate sits flush
2- Turn the valve at the filter pad to skimmer only (i.e. no Main Drains). This creates a lot of suction that cleans the floor incredibly well however makes the choir a little more difficult.

Thanks in advance!

You might try adjusting your skimmer valve to pull a little bit less water. Instead of having it fully open to skimmer only, try it at 3/4 or 1/2 to the skimmer.

You can replace those little clips easily by purchasing them at a pool supply store. It's good to have a couple of extra ones on hand as cheap insurance. They lose their springiness after a while.

Honestly I'm not 100% sure with or without. I have just had better results without it. Could be an error(s) on my part.

Sorry but I usually use an autocleaner. :oops:

I have samples with opening the main drain a little but still had this problem.

I'll try a new butterfly clip first but am thinking of removing the butterfly clip and replacing it with a sheer bolt.

You might also verify your vac head. Possibly you could have the wrong type for your pool or just a too small or really cheap model. Heads should move across the bottom freely despite the suction holding it down. See that all the rollers turn freely. Some types adjust the height of the roller by loosening the axle nut and sliding it in a track. Perhaps a slight adjustment of the roller downwards might help. Silly question, but you are vacuuming to Filter, right? 1.5 hp to Recirc. might overload a vac head; to Waste will as well, plus it will empty your pool halfway before you are done. I've been manual vacuuming for forty-five years and never had a butterfly let go (although I think everybody used brass bolts and wing nuts into the early 1970's--that's why most telepoles have the second hole in the end that nobody uses).

If you need a shear bolt there is a real problem...but brass or stainless with a wing nut will do the job.

I do vac to filter. I do not have any wheels or adjustments. It was a $25 vacum head. Certainly better then the head my PB gave me.

I have a vinyl liner therefore I tried to stay away from wheels. I think I remember reading somewhere that they are no good for vinyl.

Thanks for the info on the sheer bolt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.