LIquid chlorine usage crazy

May 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well I finally rid my pool of CYA, which for years was way way over 100. Now it is zero. Mainly from using liquid chlorine and no tabs.

Here is my question, with the heat 95-99+, I am using between 1-2 gal. of chlorine a day and that still barely maintains a 1ppm or less at the end of the day. My pool is appx 15K gallons.

Is this fairly normal since my CYA is gone?

One thing though, the water feels so much better and you don't get that nasty film on your skin when swimming. Everyone says the water tastes salty also, which we use no salt.

Still kicking going to salt water, but may do stenner pump setup.

Yes without cya you will burn off chlorine rather quickly. Think of cya as sunscreen for your chlorine. It bonds to it and helps it last longer.

You should follow the cya chart and add enough using poolmath for your size pool to get to the 30-40 range. This will give you some float if you take a vacation or have to be away from the pool for a week or longer you can then use pucks in a floater which would increase the cya a bit.

when you add chlorine you’re also adding a small amont of salt so this could be the case why it seems salty.

For a pool in the hot Austin sun, I'd take your CYA up to 50ppm.

Every chemical you've put in that pool has left a little salt behind. It usually isn't enough to taste though, unless you're seriously sensitive?

Maddie :flower:

Get some CYA in that pool!

Your pool is roughly the same size as mine and you're using more than 4X the bleach I use! For me, it's one quart, eyeballed generally, of 12.5% per day. Figure 2 gallons a week. That's with 50 CYA.

CYA is like many things in life: some is good, more may be better, but too much is bad.

yes I thought of using some pucks to add the CYA, since this is why my pool was overloaded with CYA when the previous owner pucked it to death.

- - - Updated - - -

Yippee, my wife and kids said it tasted salty. Haha, I don't go in the pool much, but when I do, I surely don't drink the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.