A couple of Florida "winter" questions

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
I have an above ground pool with three sets of wedding cake steps and I live in North Florida 5 miles from the coast (but in the woods...such a contradiction :roll: ). One day in the winter months it will be a high of 60. The next day it will be a high of 80. Most days the high is at least 70 degrees. We usually have at least one night a winter where the temperature will drop below 32 degrees for a brief amount of time. We get about 11 hours of sunlight a day. Covering the pool would be difficult with the steps in place and I have no way/idea of how to remove or take off of the railings.

1. I don't have to cover the pool or do anything special to the skimmer/filter/pump but just make sure I keep the pump running if the temperature gets below 32 degrees?

2. Should I run the pump overnight if there is a frost warning?

3. I can add the poly 60 as insurance against the chlorine hitting zero?

4. Should I (will I) still run the pump and add chlorine once a week? If so, should I put enough chlorine to jump up to shock level and then let it fall over the week?

That's all for now. Thanks for being so great and nice in answering questions!

Run the pump when the temp is expected to drop below 32. I would treat the pool as if it was still open. Your pool will consume less chlorine in the winter so you shouldn't have to add it as often. Get a thermometer for you pool if you don't have one. Once the water drops below 60 degrees chlorine demand should drop as well. Run the pump a couple of hours a day and scoop out any leaves and debris that fall into the pool.

numberonenole said:
Should I... still run the pump and add chlorine once a week? If so, should I put enough chlorine to jump up to shock level and then let it fall over the week?
Test the water - especially chlorine and pH - even if you don't plan on swimming. This, along with the appearance of your water, will tell you if you're pumping long enough. You can probably just test & make adjustments once a week or every ten days -- unless the water stays above 70 degrees during your winter. You don't need to get up to shock level unless the water develops algae or you have detected chloramines > .5 ppm; just experiment to find how much chlorine you need to add from week to week...

Hi - I'm wondering the same for a central Florida pool. I want want to keep the winder debris out - I used a leaf cover last year but still had lots of little debris which I had to keep pulling off to clean. I was wondering if I should use a solar cover or winter cover that will allow rain to pass through but not the smallest debris. We do not have a heater so won't be swimming for a while unless I can raise the temp with a solar cover (?). We built the pool last year and ran the pump all winter per the builder instructions - we never 'closed' the pool. I'm wondering this year if I should us a floating solar or tighter mesh winter cover.

G. Dickens / Central Florida
New'ish pool owner (built in 2014)
12k concrete lap pool with swim-jet, 3hp pump

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.