Sediment in bottom of pool

goinflyn

Aug 19, 2017
new york, ny
I have a heyward de bump handle filter and I’m seeing sediment accumulating along the bottom of the pool. I backwashed the filter until the water was clear while bumping the handle repeatedly and replenished with 3 lbs of de (3 coffe cans full). The filter is approx 6 years old. Is it possible the fingers in the filter are starting to wear and passing spent de into the pool?

It easily blows away.
I'm sure Maddie will explain it, but the short answer is

attachment.php

Yup, more bleach! If your FC has ever dipped low, such as after a large pool party or perhaps not enough time running the SWG, you risk algae.

The only sure fire way to kill it and eradicate it is to SLAM it per instructions. With your pool only seeing algae on the floor that blows away it should go fast.

I would turn off the SWG and use liquid chlorine (10% pool chlorine from Walmart is popular) or *plain old fashioned bleach*- NOT Clorox brand, not germicidal, no scents nor thickeners.

Take your FC down to 7.2 and start testing and dosing as often as possible- hourly even!

Look for hidden algae pockets behind lights, under ladders, on floats you use often, etc.

Do you need to re-order the FC/CC test reagents now so you don't run out during the slam?? TFTestkits.net

Brush daily, that's important. Run your filter 24/7, and backwash it only when the pressure rises 20-25% over baseline clean pressure.

Capisce?

Maddie :flower:

Yup, more bleach! If your FC has ever dipped low, such as after a large pool party or perhaps not enough time running the SWG, you risk algae.

The only sure fire way to kill it and eradicate it is to SLAM it per instructions. With your pool only seeing algae on the floor that blows away it should go fast.

I would turn off the SWG and use liquid chlorine (10% pool chlorine from Walmart is popular) or *plain old fashioned bleach*- NOT Clorox brand, not germicidal, no scents nor thickeners.

Take your FC down to 7.2 and start testing and dosing as often as possible- hourly even!

Look for hidden algae pockets behind lights, under ladders, on floats you use often, etc.

Do you need to re-order the FC/CC test reagents now so you don't run out during the slam?? TFTestkits.net

Brush daily, that's important. Run your filter 24/7, and backwash it only when the pressure rises 20-25% over baseline clean pressure.

Capisce?

Maddie :flower:

Will do, thanks!!!! I have wedding cake steps and a vinyl mat to protect the liner. When I felt under the mat it was slimy, so i guess I found where the algae came from. Now my problem is how to deal with it as moving the steps and mat are a p.i.t.a. Going to replace the steps next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.