Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is is possible to get algae out of the portable stairs?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is is possible to get algae out of the portable stairs?

I was in the middle of shocking the pool because of algae, I left it in the good hands of my DH for 24 hours while I was out of town, he kept up with the procedure but didn't notice the algae on the stair steps that were in the water or the fact that the skimmer was totally popped out of the water....so it was NOT circulating for possibly 24 hours. I've never had such visible growth on the steps, should I throw them away or can I scrub with a brush and bleach? I have removed them from the pool for now. Thanks!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is is possible to get algae out of the portable stairs?

If your referring to resin/ plastic steps I would make a mixture of bleach and water (so you can smell the bleach) and scrub the steps. Rinse them good and that should take care of it.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, yes they are the steps that came with the pool...Entex pool ladder steps.
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Get a pump up garden sprayer (new) and use 1 part bleach to 2 parts water to spray down the ladder and scrub it with a soft bristle brush. Be sure to turn the ladder on its side so you can scrub the underside as well. Lots of nooks and crannies under there! I like to use a car wash brush with a square head and a long handle. The soft bristles will prevent scratches that give algae new places to hide! Rinse the ladder well and air dry. Label your new pump up sprayer "bleach" and you can use it whenever you need to clean something moldy/mildewy.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If there is so much algae on the steps, you probably need to shock your pool. Take them out and hose/brush the worst of the algae off, put them back in, shock your pool, and you ladder will get clean in the process.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info...Mermaid....I was already in the process of shocking the pool (see above post) I am going to clean the heck out of them before putting back in the pool....
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Sadly most of the intex pumps are too small and do not give enough movement of the water so you may have to maintain a higher free chlorine level or upgrade the pump and filter if funds allow.