Sizing a Sand Filter for my Pool

JayH

Jun 3, 2018
Bucks County, Pa
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. I'm trying to size a sand filter for my 18x34 oval pool with a deep end holding about 19,000 gallons. I thought cycling the water every 8 hours would be enough although I am new.
I get the first part of your equation, for me, 19,000 gallons divide by 8 divide by 60 equals 39.5 gallons per minute.
But the second part confuses me some. Is 15 gallons per minute per square foot a standard for sand filters?
If so, do I need a sand filter that holds 2.63 sq ft of sand? And from there find out if that is a 20" or 24" filter?
Thank you.

The most important relationship is between the pump and the filter.....not the filter and the pool.

Generally, you should be able to calculate the gpm of the pump from a pump curve published by the manufacturer.

Once the pump gpm is roughly established, you filter gpm should be about 25% or so bigger.

I would suggest you call Doughboy and get help calculating the gpm for your pump and pool, then pick your filter based on that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.