When should we start contacting PBs for quotes?

If timing is firm, spend the next year researching what equipment and options you want. Not in general terms but specific model numbers and such. Bids tend to vary for a few reasons. Sometimes it’s profit margin, a lot of times it’s “comparable” equipment that isn’t specified in the quote. E.g. SWG. You think you are getting a top of the line pentair ingegrated model and instead, it’s the cheapest off brand they were able to find. They met the “terms” of the contract but put an extra $500 in their pocket at your expense. Here’s my reccos as an owner/builder back in 2008 and the sole person doing upkeep, maintenance, and repair once equipment was out of warranty:

1. Go with a single mfg for everything as it not only integrates better but typically they extend the warranty an extra year as an enticement to buy their stuff.

2. Go with ipad/iphone automation as it's so convienent to be able to run or check on the pool remotely (e.g. water temp, turn on cleaner due to wind storm, heat up spa so its ready when you get home, etc). Also the mfg hand held remotes are often slow to respond and expensive to repair. Batteries for my one touch jandy controller were close to $200 and only lasted a couple of years each time.

3. Although jandy was decent equipment, the reliability of their equipment is below par to pentair and possibly others (IMO). I the 10 years I have replaced main circ pump motor once, rebuilt it once, and replace the mechanical seals in all 3 pumps when they began to leak. Now on my 3rd complete Aquapure system (SWG) as cost to repair was close to just replacing anew. Heater, spa blower, filter have been trouble free (knock on wood). Board failed in iaqualink system after about 3 years (had the board repaired for $150 vs. replaced at $600). Also repaired polaris booster pump once and replaced it after 2nd failure. It would have cost a fortune to have a shop come and make repairs each time if I didn't do all the work myself. Jandy doesn't provide much support for those wanting to bypass a pool repair business and fix stuff yourself although some of their troubleshooting guides are pretty decent (although not intended for sharing with diy homeowners).

4. Go with a chlorine injection system (stenner set ups seem good) rather than SWG if you are building a decent size pool (20k + gallons) as cost to run the pumps to make enough chlorine in a SWG is expensive otherwise.

5. Add an automated water level controller to maintain pool level and an overflow for rainy season. Hands down the best timesaver option that you can do. It’s so nice never having to add water in the summer and not being out in the rain in the winter draining the pool.

6. Spec piping sizes and what you want for returns. 2 1/2” diameter stuff is great to cut friction losses but keep everything at least 2”. Determine whether you want stub-outs for,future solar addition, etc.

7. Figure out what coping, tile, and plaster you want. I have pebbletec and other than having to do an acid wash last year because my kids screwed up the chemistry, it looks as good as the day it was applied. Many folks have 20+ years with zero problems. IMO the pebble products are actually more economical than standard plaster when cost is figured over the life of the pool.

8. Once you have all this figured out, you can build a bid sheet with all the specifics to allow quotes to be submitted and actually be able to do apples to apples comparisons between pool builders. Or better yet, you might now have enough knowledge to be an owner/ builder and run the project yourself!

Our case was maybe a little different because we knew the exact shape/size/step bench configuration we wanted. We gave the PB’s a two page single spaced document of specs for them to base their quotes on. It certainly was helpful to keep the incoming numbers more consistent. Then they all got dropped into a spreadsheet by specification. That was very helpful.

As dictated by jurisdiction.
Nonetheless, subbed installers are under no obligation.

What is considered a “subbed” contractor? For my pool build all of the major phases of my build, the contractors were licensed and insured. The plumbers, excavation, electrical, tile, and plaster. Plus they would return to fix something if needed. I had issues and they came and resolved those issues. I didn’t use a pool builder because I didn’t wanna spend the money a pool builder is going to charge. In my case I save almost 50K. The mark up that a pool builder does is crazy money. So that’s the reason why I decided be an owner builder.

Here in Vegas most of the sub contractors work for a pool builder and some were just a construction company that does pools. They would come after their job ended and did my work. Being an owner builder you’re able to control prices and materials that you want without having to deal with the 30% markup. Almost every owner build that I’ve talk to did the same thing, they got the subcontractor list started making phone calls and contracted work. The only caveat to that statement is, there are times that they were supposed to show up and did until the next day. For me that is an acceptable timeframe for the money saved. No I don’t know your timeframe to have your pool rehab done nor do I understand the contractors in your area and how they work. But I’m sure you could get the work done and completed correctly if you wanted to go that route. Case in point, there are thousands of people on this forum that has done a successful build or a rehab by themselves by contracting services.

If you’re not comfortable doing yourself or have the ability to do that then that’s on you. Something else I forgot to add, for every contractor that I had come in to work on my pool they signed an agreement before I would let them work on my pool. As far as scheduling being an owner builder means that you are a cash customer so all of the trades that @ wrk would rather have cash in hand the day the job is completed versus having to wait 30 to 60 days for an invoice to get paid. It’s a common misconception and one that you have fallen into thinking that people are going to only cater to pool builders or return customers before they schedule your work. I don’t know of any pool builders in my area that own their own Gunite rigs or their own plaster rigs to do their work for your pool. I’m sure there are some out there but because I understanding the business, a pool builder contracts 70% of the work.

Our case was maybe a little different because we knew the exact shape/size/step bench configuration we wanted. We gave the PB’s a two page single spaced document of specs for them to base their quotes on. It certainly was helpful to keep the incoming numbers more consistent. Then they all got dropped into a spreadsheet by specification. That was very helpful.

Something else that you’re not considering or know about is this, a lot of The trades people that are doing the work they have an account at a pool supply warehouse where you get contractor pricing for equipment and materials so this is how you save over the price markup that a pool builders going to charge you. I have made relationships with pool builders here in Las Vegas and they have no issues with me using their name to go by equipment and pool supplies from the wholesale store in fact it benefits them also because the more they buy the cheaper their prices are. There are plenty of people out there that don’t want to be an owner builder and don’t have an issue with spending $100,000 for a pool pool. I guess in the end I’m having a hard time understanding why you’re so anti-owner builder.

Whoa! Things went a bit off the rails in my absence! :D. No worries Chopjaw, it's all good info to think about if I do ever consider an OB pool. At the moment, we're planning a PB pool, but you never know, that may change.

Rossterman - Thanks for list! Very helpful!

We're at least a year away I think, and I hope a year and a half at most. I think I'll probably reach out to some PBs to start feeling things out, and try to get some ballpark costs, but hold on the full detailed design and quote process until later down the road.

Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.