Pool closed by pool store, unnecessary chemicals?

tcogs

Jun 24, 2009
So I have my pool closed the other day and noticed they added the following chem's:

4 gallons of liquid chlorine
1 qt of proguard algae 60
1 proguard stain scale inhibitor

I wasn't aware they were going to add these until after I was invoiced and I wasn't home when they did closed it. Lesson learned for next year, I am assuming that these chemicals are unnecessary as I have always maintained acceptable FC levels I just want to confirm.

thx

Do you know what strength liquid chlorine?

I do add a bunch of LC when I close. Mine is probably 10%, I've never tested it. I add enough to get the FC to 20 at closing, a very heavy dose of chlorine for my pool. The "proguard algae 60' sounds like what we call polyquat 60 here. Some people use it, some don't. I do when I close but not a full quart. I don't know anything about stain guard inhibitors so I can't comment.

I wouldn't sweat it this season. Probably the amount of LC added was a little high but that does depend on its concentration. Hang around and next year, do your own closing.

I don't think there's any harm at all. It does depend on the condition of your water prior to the additions.

Can you post a full set of test results including CYA?

Assuming you CYA was reasonable, the chlorine will be fine.

I personally don't use an aglaecide but others do so no harm there.

The anti-scale stuff is a chelating agent to keep metals suspended in your pool. Do you have metals? What is your pH?

If you have no prior history of metals and/or high calcium then I suspect that was a waste.....However, it won't hurt anything except your wallet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.