Winterizing inflatable pool

Jun 26, 2009
Hi guys, I guess is that time of the year to start closing down the pool, my
question as a newbie is this: I own an inflatable 3,800 gal. 16x42 above ground pool the kind that has the blue ring on top, I do not want to take it down, how can I wnterize it, and will it get damaged if I leave it up. What are my options,
I live in northern Illinois.

Thanks

Be careful if you roll it up and leave it outside in critter country. I had an 18' Easy-set I left to winter on the patio. Squirrels got inside, got trapped, and then had to eat their way out, leaving a nice hole or two in the pool. At least that is what I think happened. Good thing I didn't need it anymore, as my new I/G pool was ready that Spring, but I couldn't sell it.

It depends on your location. If you live somewhere where its cold and ice is a possibility definitely drain it. That's what we do in WI, but if you live where it doesn't freeze, but you won't use the pool you could probably close without draining.

Adam

launboy...since you have had yours for 9 years, maybe you can answer this. I have the same pool you do and it doesn't freeze hardly at all in Houston, what do you think I should do to winterize. Just cover it and shut the pump off? Anything else I should do?

Hmmm... We've always drained, dried, and stored ours in an unheated garage every winter because in WI we get cold and snow and the whole pool would probably freeze solid.

I don't see a problem with just covering and being done with it, but I keep going back to the thought of depending on how cold it gets, the plastic might get kinda brittle and crack/rip or something. I also think getting ANY sort of ice in one of these pools would be a BIG NO NO.

That said, if you're running the stock Intex pump/filter and you open up to a green pool, you're going to have one heck of a time trying to get it back to blue and sparkly because of how small the filter is. If you open early enough and close late enough that might not be a problem. If someone with an AG pool in Houston could chime in with their pool closing procedure and info their opinion would be more useful.

Adam

Thanks for responding...green algae pool is nothing new to me..lol Have had it 4 times this summer! I did read on here somewhere that some southeast Texas people have the same pool and have left it up with no problem. I think I'm going to wing it and just close it late and open early. The pool water has already dropped in temp over the last few days because of rain and cooler days...but hey...this is Houston, we will still have 90 degree weather for another month! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.