TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've heard nothing but good reviews for powermat.com, but my personal experience with the place was really bad. I filled out the web form to get his recommendation for panels for my system, and I quickly got a rambling, somewhat incoherent reply that he had already talked to my wife (he hadn't) and that he was having to pay people to "read the web site" and answer the phones because so many people were asking for information (I was ready to buy panels). He then recommended enough panels to cover the area I described to him in panels 4 deep. The guy was a real jerk, and I won't be buying anything from him.

Thanks for the write up. I am looking to install solar next year. Checked there site out and liked the panels. If their response to you is an indication of support you might expect I will think twice. Do you have any recommendations on other panels.
Dave

I have the solar bears and they work great, good prices around too. We have 2 of the 4x20s and have them installed parallel on an upright to 40deg rack set with a diverter. GOOD heat output

power Mat

I wasnt happy with the email responses I received from powermat either. When you email your inquiry you need to fill out afew questions on your pool( which I did) including surface area. I got an automated reply immediatley which listed the answers to my questions. Several days later I got a terse response saying they can do anything without the size of my pool. I replied with the size and almnost a week later received a response stating how many panels and a link.

When I clicked on the link I realized he wanted to size my system at 90% OF teh surface area. I believe teh standard is 50%. My solar panels would be in direct sunlight for about 11 hrs

Thanks John. This sort of info is why I love the internet. It's also why retailers should be more concerned with how they treat customers. Instead of just telling a few friends and neighbors about a positive or negative experience, we now have the ability to tell thousands.

How many sales has powermat.com just cost himself? When you have other alternatives, why would you bother with one who doesn't seem to care if he gets your business or not?
Some people are their own worst enemies.

DaveNJ said:
Thanks for the write up. I am looking to install solar next year. Checked there site out and liked the panels. If their response to you is an indication of support you might expect I will think twice. Do you have any recommendations on other panels.
Dave

I ended up buying the Aquasol panels. I had really liked the Enersol brand, but the Florida Solar Energy Center rated them lower in efficiency than most others, and I'm limited on space. I had to go with an 8 ft panel length, so that limited me on manufacturers.

I am so glad to see this thread. I, too, got terrible responses from Powermat. I was making inquiries and possibly looking to buy to repair my system. At first he was okay, but then got incoherent and downright mean.

I got a nice reply several years ago. I recommend Powermat.com as a place to go to learn about how solar heating works, not necessarily to buy (maybe that is bad). The site is not very well organized, but there are several animations and write ups that are so much better than anything else I have seen on the web (or in manufacturers glossies) that I think the recommendation is worthwhile. There are a number of recommendations that are closely in line with what is recommended here (such as not over sizing pumps).

tphaggerty said:
I got a nice reply several years ago. I recommend Powermat.com as a place to go to learn about how solar heating works, not necessarily to buy (maybe that is bad). The site is not very well organized, but there are several animations and write ups that are so much better than anything else I have seen on the web (or in manufacturers glossies) that I think the recommendation is worthwhile. There are a number of recommendations that are closely in line with what is recommended here (such as not over sizing pumps).

I agree. He has great information there, and I had intended to buy from him as I felt the support would have been a good benefit to have. But he basically told me he didn't have time to bother with me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.