suggestions for automation options...

Oct 18, 2013
Anaheim Hills, CA
Here is what I currently have:
20K, IG Plaster, Pool & Spa with:
Pentair Intelliflo VSF, Pentair FNS Plus 60, Pentair Master Temp 400, Pentair IC40 SWG
and: Hayward Aquanaut 400

Goal:
remotely control two on off functions of pump, heater, SWG via iPhone app and if possible Alexa (smartthings)
I would also like to be able to control two jandy valves (in from pool/spa : out to pool/spa)
and finally, one spa light, one pool light

Thank you,
David

Pentair EasyTouch seems like an obvious choice for you, after you verify your Intelliflo VSF works with one. But whatever you do, DO NOT select an EasyTouch model with an "L" in its model number (like my regret ET, the PSL4). "L" = "lite" and its scheduling capabilities, among other things, are severely limited.

David,

How old is your salt cell? I ask because the best choice would be an EasyTouch with the salt cell power supply built-in. The problem is they come with an IC40.. In the long run a pretty good investment, as your cell will need to be replaced at some point anyway..

See this link... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520543

The ET 4.. has 4 relays which will allow you to control the SWCG, Spa Light, Pool Light, leaving you with one unused relay... the heater does not need one of the High Voltage relays..

The ET8 has 8 relays, so it can control more external things like a spa blower or landscape light.

https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520545

And if you want to go crazy, you can get an ET8 with an IC60 for about $100 bucks more...

https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-521150

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all.

Thanks for the advice, I'll avoid the L!

The IC40 is brand new. Less than a month old. I had it all installed and then started wondering about automation. Do I have to have the easy touch power the swcg? or is it just cleaner so I dont have two boxes.

what is the heater controlled off of if not a relay?

If you already own the IC and its transformer, you can just buy the stand-alone ET. The transformer will just be hung on the wall in addition to the ET. That's how mine is. I also have a breaker box, because my "lite" ET does not have the breakers inside. That is my regret, that I don't have the better ET, which houses the transformer and all the breakers. That would have been a nice look.

The ET has a set of connectors for the heater control. It doesn't use a relay for that. Something that you could verify with a peek at the manual. Pentair has manuals for all their gear on their website.

You don't need ScreenLogic for automation to work. But it's ScreenLogic that allows you to control your pool's operation from your phone or computer. Without ScreenLogic, you'd program and control your system from either the ET interface, out at the pad, or from one of Pentair's older offerings, their wireless or wired indoor controllers. ScreenLogic offers a much easier interface, as the other options are all tiny screens with arcane menus, etc. Very 70s. I actually have both, ScreenLogic and an Indoor Control Panel. I find each very convenient in their own way, and would not want to do without either. If you can only choose one, go with ScreenLogic. The main drawback of the Indoor Control Panel is the ribbing I endure, from the TFP experts, about owning it!! ;)

another option if you just want to use alexa and smarthings (or insteon or whatever) would be to just replace the switches with remote capable switches (my house is all insteon so that's what i know but smarthings is similar). You can then just use some definate Purpose contactors / relays to run the loads. This is only if you are comfortable with doing electrical work and understand how relays work. Depending on the number of zones that can get costly too at $35-$50 per switch.

I'm getting ready to take my light off of my Pentair ET and wire it back up to my Insteon system, where it once was. I went with the ET because it knows how to "flick the switch" on and off to control the various scenes and colors of the new Pentair 5G. But I miss being able to turn on the pool light from various wall switches in the house (living room and bedroom). I figure I'll be able to program my HA computer to do the on-off-on-off for the 5G, and the wall switches will just turn on the 5G to whatever color it last used.

To bring this back around for the OP, it's nice and tidy to have all your pool functions work from the pool's automation controller and the associated software (computers and phones), but it's not the only way to go. There are lots of automation options out there, and more than one for the pool might be something to consider.

Maybe someday the big three pool equipment companies will cave and open their automation offerings to work with all, or at least some, of the others. Maybe... But in the meantime there are work-arounds...

I like nice and tidy... but then again I already have quite a few switches and outlets all set up through smartthings hub... decisions, decisions. I dont think I really NEED Alexa to turn on my pool, spa, heater, etc... but then again, I dont need Alexa. =)

Thanks for all the tips and options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.