Washer in my return line?

Mar 12, 2018
Corsicana TX
I am pretty sure the former pool guy was not very competent. We bought this place in December, and were told there was "an air leak in the return line," but that it would be fixed before we moved in, and that we were getting a warranty with pool and spa coverage. The realtor sent me a receipt where the former owner paid $1200 to fix something - $50 for PVC and $1100 for labor, plus tax. Of course, the home warranty does not cover pipes.
Anyway, never having owned a pool I ignored it until March, when it started to turn green. I turned the pump on and had almost no pressure. So I called the pool guy who had done the fixes before we moved in. He failed to notice that the Hayward skimmer was missing a ring, and this was the reason the basket was sitting on the bottom of the skimmer all the time. His solution for the low pressure and anemic return was to suggest charging me $900 to change all the sand in the sand filter. He cautioned me strongly against ever putting bleach in the skimmer, and warned me to always turn the multi-port clockwise.
So now the pool is leaking again. It loses 2 to 3 inches in about 12 hours, but only when the pump is on. It does blow air out of the returns. We noticed water on the concrete on the suction side. My guess is that there is a leak under the concrete in one of the return lines that is seeping all the way around the pool.
So I looked at the jet of that return line today, and for kicks I took the nozzle off and felt inside. There is a 1-1/4" diameter galvanized washer in there, with what looks like a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole. Is there any reason for that?
And most importantly, do I call back the pool guy to fix this leak, or should I bite the bullet and find someone else?

What do you think? Find someone else if you can.

Suction side is where the skimmer is. Return side is under pressure and would leak water out, not suck air in and cause bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.