Week Old Pool - How to Start Off Right?

lances4803

Sep 6, 2009
TN
Pool finished last Saturday.
I have been reading TFP and already bought a TF-100 test kit. Before taking the first water sample to the pool company, I tested it myself:
pH - 7.8
TA - 10
FC - 0.5
TC - 0.5
CH - 150
CYA - 0
Their test was pretty close to mine and I picked up my initial load of checmicals (company provides with build). They instructed me to add:
32oz of stabilizer
32oz dichlor
3 dichlor stick in skimmers
24oz algacide
7lbs of Hardness Control over the next 4 days (3.5lbs per day)

After a week, pool is clear, but I do notice dead algae on the bottom every day. The company tested the water:
pH - 7.6
TA - 47
FC - 0
TC - 0
CH - 136
CYA - 0
They only recommended 32oz of dichlor and 5oz of algacide and continue with 3 sticks per week. Was told that the CYA would naturally rise. They said they want to keep track of all the chemicals I use in case there is a future problem with staining, etc., they can see what has been done.

My question is, they don't seem to be addressing the lack of chlorine, or CYA. My novice reading tells me algae may be using up the FC. Putting test results into the Pool Calculator shows that I need quite a bit of work with bleach, baking soda, stabilizer, etc.

With a new pool, where do you start?

Start by reading some articles in Pool School. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Overnight FC Loss Test, and Defeating Algae would be three good ones.

Then, trust your own test results. Invariably, you will be more accurate than the pool store. Now, that still goes but I think you should recheck the TA test.....a result of 10 is incredibly low and I suspect testing error of some kind.

Next, start with your pH....yours is okay but at the high end of okay. I'd leave it alone for now but watch it carefully and make sure it stays in the 7's.

Next, get some chlorine in your pool ASAP......bring it up to shock value and hold it there until the dead algae has disappeared and you lose less than 1ppm overnight (overnight FC Loss test) You are correct....algae is consuming your FC and it must be constantly replenished and held at shock level.

CYA is next....get enough in there to get to around 40ppm ASAP. The sun is killing off the remaining FC and the CYA will reduce that loss.

I would disregard the Trichlor and the sticks and the algaecide. They will do nothing for you that chlorine and CYA won't accomplish cheaper and virtually as effective.

Pretty soon, you'll have to pick which advice to follow.....the PB's may work just fine but it will conflict with what you hear here and cause you (and everyone else) a lot of confusion. :lol:

lances4803 said:
They only recommended 32oz of dichlor and 5oz of algacide and continue with 3 sticks per week. Was told that the CYA would naturally rise.
The dichlor contributes almost as much CYA as it does chlorine, not exactly a "natural" rise, it suggests they don't really understand what's going on with the dichlor.
--paulr

I tested again this morning (after adding the 32oz of dichlor last night).
pH - 7.6
TA - 80 (the company got this one way wrong.)
FC - 6
TC - 6.5

I picked up 2 gallons of stabilizer today, and will start with BBB this weekend!
I think this confirmed that the pool company doesn't know what they are doing.
I wonder if they will take back the unopened N2 cartridge?
Thanks everyone!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.