running filter till we close

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
Taking everyone's advice about leaving the pool open later than we usually do till water temp drops, etc. We'd normally close this weekend. During the swim season, I'd run the filter 10-12 hours/day. Hate to run it that long when no on is swimming, but how low can I go and still have it filter effectively?

Off subject, but someone explained once how to add the pool info so it 'sticks' each time I post. Thought I had it, but guess i messed up somewhere! Can anyone chime in with the directions again as to how to add that info? Thanks. Btw, for the above question, we have an AG, 22, 000 gal..using BBB.

To add a sig, go to User Control Panel link (top left, under the TFP logo), click on Profile, click on Edit Signature, enter your info and submit. Please keep it to 5 lines or less, per forum rules.

Pump run time will depend on the flow rate of the pump and head loss of your plumbing. Head loss should be negligible for an AGP, so if you know the flow rate of your pump in gph, divide the size of your pool by that number, and that'll tell you how many hours to do 1 turnover of your water. IIRC, you generally want two turnovers a day for good filtration, so multiply that number by two.

The pump manual and/or the pump mfr website should have a loss curve for that pump which shows the flow rate vs head loss, and you have to figure up your head loss and use that curve, unfortunately. Who's the manufacturer of your pump?

Yep, I meant the volume of the pool divided by the flow rate of the pump.

How did you come up with the pump run time you have now? Just a guesstimate and it worked OK?

OK, here's what I think we have. Waterford systems high rate sand filter systems..model jsal 210 series. 21" filter (we got this number by measuring the tank diameter and find the comparison in the manual)
So....according to the chart in the manual, it gave us a Flow rate max = 43.6 gpm. so dividing that by 22, 500 gal gave us 8 hours for 1 turn over. That would mean we'd need to run it 16 hours??? Does anyone even run it that much during prime season?? Something's not right! Help!

We have a 12.5K gal AGP with a 2-speed Pentair pump and a Hayward sand filter.

We run the pump for 6 hours on the low setting during the night and for 2 hours after we've been in the pool during the day. I have no idea what its flow rate is but the 6 hours every 24 have worked fo us for five years now. I set it on high when I vacuum.

Now that the pool is used less I've set it back to run 4 hours during the night. I still do add chlorine every 3 days or so and when I do, I mix it in manually by shoving the brush around some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.