Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: calcium chloride and its impact on salt cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

calcium chloride and its impact on salt cell?

Hey everyone. I have a somewhat weird quiestion. I am suspicous that the person who maintains my pool dumped a bag of "tetra flake" into my pool. I think that perhaps he just mistook it for some form of acceptable pool salt. (http://www.tetrachemicals.com/Products/ ... _Flake.aqf). As it turns out, this product is a calcium chloride with some sodium chloride that is typically used for deicing and other stuff. It is not pool salt.

Do I need to be worried about this stuff being in my pool? Has it, or will its, presence damage my salt cell? Can I perform a test to confirm whether it was poured into my pool? I am trying to figure out how upset I need to be...
    36000 gallon pool with SWG and Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: calcium chloride and its impact on salt cell?

You should be ok as long as your CH level is not very high and you keep your PH below 7.8. High CH and PH over 7.8 could cause scaling.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

If you post a full set of test result (incl. salt) we can see if there's a problem.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

i would be worried if i seen a pool guy just dump calcium in my pool without dissolving it first.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.