Do I need a winter cover?

I have not put on a winter cover the past 2 years and not really had a problem, except some algae if we are late opening up. We do not have any trees near the pool but do I need a cover to keep the sun from using up the chlorine? I am just starting the BBB Method and don't want to have problems with algae because all my chlorine gets burned off!

Probably not. There are several forum members here who don't cover their pool when they close it. Just keep the pool going until your water temp gets under 60 degrees (the colder the better), raise your FC to shock level, and close 'er down. Algae has a hard time growing in cold water.

I've never used a winter cover, same scenario - no trees nearby.
When we stop using the pool, I remove the solar blanket and steps, hook up the vacuum and let er rip for a while to keep the dust and such out.
When November is here, I drain it down, disconnect the filter and pump and call it a year.
Once winter hits it becomes a solid block of ice anyways.
Come spring I redirect my downspouts to the pool to fill it back up and chlorinate it all again, throw in the vac and let her clean up the winter dust that's settled out. (I use rainwater to fill my pool because we're on a well and can't afford to run it down to that degree).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.