Finally got my Taylor kit...here's the numbers

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
This is from a new pool, been running about a week and a half.

FC .6
CC .2
PH 7.4
TA 90
CH110
CYA less than 30

I have added some bleach to get the chlorine levels up, so I will re-test in the morning.

I think the PH may be a little low for my vinyl pool, so I'll try and raise it as well.

Also the CYA is low, so that's another one I'll work on.

Up till now I have been using trichlor pucks with a chlorinator until the pool is completely finished by the builder just to keep things easy. After the next week or so I will switch to using bleach.

Which part should I try and tackle first?

Stay with the trichlor until your CYA is where it needs to be, using bleach to boost the chlorine as needed. The pH is fine. You are in good shape.

Thanks John.

Couple of questions on the levels. With a vinyl pool, is a PH of 7.4 OK, or can it damage the liner being this low (I see pool school recommends 7.5-7.8), although I guess 7.4 is fairly close to those values? The pool installer gave me some chemicals to get going, and one was "Omni PH Increaser". Can I use this to increase the PH, or am I better using the Borax?

What CYA should I be shooting for (I'm using a Delta UV system to augment the chlorine)? Does the pool schools recommendation of 30-50 sound reasonable? I might add some stabilizer to help bring this up quicker (as well as still using the pucks).

flyboy320 said:
With a vinyl pool, is a PH of 7.4 OK, or can it damage the liner being this low (I see pool school recommends 7.5-7.8), although I guess 7.4 is fairly close to those values? The pool installer gave me some chemicals to get going, and one was "Omni PH Increaser". Can I use this to increase the PH, or am I better using the Borax?
Unless your pH has a tendency to quickly decrease I wouldn't touch it. If you're sure you want to push it up to ~7.7 or so to match the ideal recommendation in Pool School, add about 1/2 pound (8 oz.) of Omni pH Increaser (assuming the main ingredient is sodium carbonate) or washing soda
- OR -
add a pound and a half (18 oz.) Borax

flyboy320 said:
What CYA should I be shooting for ... Does the pool schools recommendation of 30-50 sound reasonable?
Yes.

Just follow JohnT's advice, you won't have any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.