Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally got my Taylor kit...here's the numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally got my Taylor kit...here's the numbers

This is from a new pool, been running about a week and a half.

FC .6
    CC .2
    PH 7.4
    TA 90
    CH110
    CYA less than 30

I have added some bleach to get the chlorine levels up, so I will re-test in the morning.

I think the PH may be a little low for my vinyl pool, so I'll try and raise it as well.

Also the CYA is low, so that's another one I'll work on.

Up till now I have been using trichlor pucks with a chlorinator until the pool is completely finished by the builder just to keep things easy. After the next week or so I will switch to using bleach.

Which part should I try and tackle first?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally got my Taylor kit...here's the numbers

Stay with the trichlor until your CYA is where it needs to be, using bleach to boost the chlorine as needed. The pH is fine. You are in good shape.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks John.

Couple of questions on the levels. With a vinyl pool, is a PH of 7.4 OK, or can it damage the liner being this low (I see pool school recommends 7.5-7.8), although I guess 7.4 is fairly close to those values? The pool installer gave me some chemicals to get going, and one was "Omni PH Increaser". Can I use this to increase the PH, or am I better using the Borax?

What CYA should I be shooting for (I'm using a Delta UV system to augment the chlorine)? Does the pool schools recommendation of 30-50 sound reasonable? I might add some stabilizer to help bring this up quicker (as well as still using the pucks).
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy320
    With a vinyl pool, is a PH of 7.4 OK, or can it damage the liner being this low (I see pool school recommends 7.5-7.8), although I guess 7.4 is fairly close to those values? The pool installer gave me some chemicals to get going, and one was "Omni PH Increaser". Can I use this to increase the PH, or am I better using the Borax?
    Unless your pH has a tendency to quickly decrease I wouldn't touch it. If you're sure you want to push it up to ~7.7 or so to match the ideal recommendation in Pool School, add about 1/2 pound (8 oz.) of Omni pH Increaser (assuming the main ingredient is sodium carbonate) or washing soda
    - OR -
    add a pound and a half (18 oz.) Borax

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy320
    What CYA should I be shooting for ... Does the pool schools recommendation of 30-50 sound reasonable?
    Yes.

Just follow JohnT's advice, you won't have any problems.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys...much appreciated....couple of internet beers for you....

6. Back To Top    #6

Not that I deserve any, but if you're buying... I'd like a Canadian Hefeweisen-style micro-brew.

Thank you.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009