JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
bclaydon said:
Jason,
I grew up with a 24' round Doughboy so I am used to using normal Chlorine and Acid. I have been researching this BBB thing as I just put in a 40x16 AGP - Doughboy with a DE filter. I have been trying to figure out why I should go to the BBB method! It sounds like it is less expensive, and perhaps a more effective method when it comes to keeping algae out. Is this true? Then I read the rave reviews about PhosFree to kill algae (pricey!), then I read about Borates and 20 Mule Team! Ughh! I guess my main concern is to keep algae out as I now have a brand new vinyl liner! I can purchase normal bleach at Costco way cheaper than Chlorine I am sure but will need a TF100 test kit for sure if I switch. My pool has regular chlorine (shock-type) currently. Will it mix with bleach? How to winterize a 20,000 gallon pool!? I all just seems scary!

bclaydon said:
I grew up with a 24' round Doughboy so I am used to using normal Chlorine and Acid. I have been researching this BBB thing as I just put in a 40x16 AGP - Doughboy with a DE filter. I have been trying to figure out why I should go to the BBB method! It sounds like it is less expensive, and perhaps a more effective method when it comes to keeping algae out. Is this true?
Well, a lot of people here think so, and have used it successfully.
bclaydon said:
Then I read the rave reviews about PhosFree to kill algae (pricey!), then I read about Borates and 20 Mule Team! Ughh!
PhosFree doesn't kill algae, it reduces your phosphate level; the argument there is that without phosphates to eat, algae can't grow. Nonsense; algae can grow anyway. Chlorine will kill algae no matter what your phosphates are.

Regarding borates, that's purely optional and even a bit experimental; you can safely ignore the 50ppm borates that people talk about. Borax is still the best chemical way to raise pH that has gotten too low, however.
bclaydon said:
I guess my main concern is to keep algae out as I now have a brand new vinyl liner! I can purchase normal bleach at Costco way cheaper than Chlorine I am sure but will need a TF100 test kit for sure if I switch.
You need a decent test kit regardless, otherwise you're just guessing when it comes to having adequate chlorine in the pool.
bclaydon said:
My pool has regular chlorine (shock-type) currently. Will it mix with bleach?
Once it is in the pool chlorine is chlorine, whatever source you use. You don't want to mix them outside the pool though.
bclaydon said:
How to winterize a 20,000 gallon pool!? I all just seems scary!
Anything new can seem scary. I made some dumb moves when I first started taking care of my pool, and I'd helped take care of one as a kid. But now I know better, plus I have the hubris to try to help other people. How's that for scary? :)
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.