Is it worth switching to variable speed pump?

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
We have a pentair single speed pump that is running good but pretty loud after a huge rain last year. Since then, we have been contemplating on whether we should switch to a single speed or variable speed. We learnt pretty early on that running the pump 24/7 is not friendly on the electricity bill.

This year, we switched to the BBB method and so far we are running it 5 hours in the morning and one hour late at night after adding chemicals.

Our intermatic timer is broken and we kept postponing the replacement since we thought a variable speed pump will have the timer built into it.

Would it be worthwhile to spend around 1.5K and get a variable speed pump at this point or should we replace with a single speed pump once it completely quits working.

Is there any advantage to running 24/7 with a vs pump?

People who switched or having a vs pump, please pour in your suggestions.

Edited: It costed roughly $150 to run the pump 24/7 during the non-peak months.

Thanks

new,

Only you and your electrical company know for sure... :p

If you are only running 6 hours a day it would take a while to pay off a VS pump.. Not sure what it cost you to run 24/7, but it costs me less than $20 a month. Most of the time I run at 1200 rpm because I have a SWCG.

There is no reason that anyone "needs" to run 24/7... But with a VS pump you certainly have that option without increasing your electrical bill.

I personally like that I'm skimming 24/7 and making chlorine 24/7.. But, it is what I want to do, nothing I have to do..

Another option is a good 2-speed pump which would be a lot less money and save you almost as much on your electrical bill..

Thanks, for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you. It costed around $150 during the non-peak mos when pump was running 24/7. We became a bit wiser as summer rolled in last year and started cutting down on the hours :). This is the first month I am experimenting with 6 hours run time.

I have a 2hp two speed Hayward pump. On low (1750 rpm) it draws about 700 Watts. On high (3450 rpm) it draws about 2300 Watts if I remember correctly.

On low speed it is on the edge of being able to close the pressure switch to run my heater. So if you have a heater, that is one more thing to keep in mind when you choose a new pump as well.

The swcg seems happy at low speed.

I run it for 12 hours on low with a couple of short bursts of about 15 minutes twice per day. The swcg creates bubbles that build up in the return lines on low so I like to blow them out a couple of times a day.

You’ll have to run the numbers and see which one is most favorable.

$160 a month sounds about right for 24/7 usage with a single speed pump. A two speed pump will cost you about the same as a Pentair Superflo VS pump. If you aren't going to get an automation system, the electronics in the Superflo should suffice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.