The battle between the pool, the tree and me

Aug 31, 2008
Ocoee, Florida
Here's some background...

Our pool is a 15x26 above ground oval pool that is three years old. It is in direct sunlight all day, but about twenty feet from the pool is a hundred year old Laurel Oak Tree. We purposely got an above ground pool because we didn't want to take the tree down. But, the relationship between the pool and the tree has become the bane of my existence. I spend all of my free time cleaning the pool and trying to balance the chemicals. The tree is constantly dropping leaves, acorns, pollen and other debree into the pool. I have had a yellow pool several times this summer (actually, it's recurring, not just summer) and I am trying to determine if it is algae or pollen. The reason I am uncertain is because it usually occurs after a heavy rain and the tree dumps it's stuff in the pool. I have been treating it as algae and dumping tons of bleach in the pool to get rid of it. Unfortunately, I haven't had a decent test kit until this week and my CYA and FC were very high. So, I spent two days draining some water off and refilling it and below are my test results from last evening.

FC - 14
CC - 0
pH - 7.6
TA - 110
CH - 0
CYA - 40
Borates - not using borates, but would like to start.

My questions are:
1. Should I hold my FC, or any of my chemical levels, at a higher rate due to the tree?
2. When you are testing CYA...I am adding water until I can not see the black spot at all, I mean completely gone, not just faint and hard to see. Is this correct?
3. I read that Calcium Hardness is not that important with vinyl liners. Is this true or should I add calcium chloride to raise it?
4. I also read that vinyl liners can take a high TA. Is 110 acceptable? I think it is a little high because of the tree.
5. I want to add borates because I think it will help with the yellow algae. I am assuming it is at zero because I have never added any. I don't know how to measure borates, I don't think I have a test for it.
6. And, lastly, I am working on some kind of cover for the pool that will allow me to cover it during the times we are not swimming and easily uncover it when we want to swim. I do not want a solar cover, the pool is in direct Florida sunlight all day and we don't need a solar cover. I was reading about the homemade solar reels, though. And, I was thinking about using the solar reel with shade fabric. I would hook it to my deck on one side and the solar reel on the other. When we want to use the pool, I could unhook it and roll it up. I'm still working on the specifics, but would appreciate any input.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I've been fighting this battle for a while and I need to win or else something has to come down.

(I'm going to try to attach some pictures of what things look like)

Attachments

• IMG_7817.jpg
    IMG_7817.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_7812.jpg
    IMG_7812.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_7814.jpg
    IMG_7814.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 902
Sorry to hear of the problem with your large tree. We have redwoods near our pool that drop debris year-round, especially after the wind comes up, so I can really sympathize.

How much of your debris sinks to the bottom as compared to floats on the top? Does your skimmer do a very good job of getting the floating debris?

I have to empty the skimmer basket every day and sometimes it's so full of leaves I have to pull them out by hand because I can't get the basket out until I break the suction. I usually empty it two or three times a day now. And, I have to vacuum every other day or it becomes a problem. I used to use the automatic aqua critter, but it wasn't worth the hassle. It's quicker to vacuum it by hand. Most times I use the leaf rake (that hooks up to the garden hose), because it works better and quicker on the leaves. But, when I have the yellow algae I use the pool vacuum and either vacuum to waste or backwash when I'm done.

I'm so tired of cleaning, I want to swim and enjoy it. Hopefully, with my new test kit and the knowledge I gained from this wonderful site, I'll be able to enjoy that. I definitely enjoy the BBB method, it makes it easier and cheaper for me.

I've seen the Pool Skim before, but wasn't convinced it would work for me. Doesn't it hinder the circulation of the pool water? And, my return jet is right next to my pool skimmer, so why would the Pool Skim work better than my skimmer? It seems like it wouldn't get the leaves at the other end of the pool.

Believe me, it would be a lot cheaper to buy the Pool Skim, but I also have acorns falling in the pool, not to mention pollen or whatever else. I'm a lot more confident now that I have the proper test kit and my chemicals are within a decent range. But, I am tired of fighting to keep it clean every day.

michelbie said:
I've seen the Pool Skim before, but wasn't convinced it would work for me. Doesn't it hinder the circulation of the pool water?
Do you only have 1 return (next to the skimmer?) If so, perhaps this isn't the solution for you, but if you had a return mid-pool or on the opposing side to the skimmer, that would provide double the skimming effect. The Pool Skim's venturi entrapment (wherever you decide to put it) would aid, not hinder, circulation.

michelbie said:
[...] but I also have acorns falling in the pool, not to mention pollen or whatever else.
If whatever falls in the pool floats for a time, the Pool Skim may sweep them up before they sink.

5. I want to add borates because I think it will help with the yellow algae. I am assuming it is at zero because I have never added any. I don't know how to measure borates, I don't think I have a test for it.

so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

You will need some borate test strips; the LaMotte Borate test strips from Lamberts ($10 + small S&H) are the best ones I have come across.
I got boric acid from AAA Chemicals I probably should have checked S&H from thechemistrystore?)
The "Boric Acid Technical (orthoboric acid)" product is what you want

Dumping in boric acid seemed way easier than the other method

polyvue said:
michelbie said:
I've seen the Pool Skim before, but wasn't convinced it would work for me. Doesn't it hinder the circulation of the pool water?
Do you only have 1 return (next to the skimmer?) If so, perhaps this isn't the solution for you, but if you had a return mid-pool or on the opposing side to the skimmer, that would provide double the skimming effect. The Pool Skim's venturi entrapment (wherever you decide to put it) would aid, not hinder, circulation.

michelbie said:
[...] but I also have acorns falling in the pool, not to mention pollen or whatever else.
If whatever falls in the pool floats for a time, the Pool Skim may sweep them up before they sink.

It only hinders circulation if you don't empty the bag. I have a ton of maple trees and the Pool Skim is a god send for me. Having 1 return next to the skimmer is not an issue. It works 10 times better than the skimmer does. All you have to do is point it away from your skimmer. It will circulate the water around the pool so that anything not caught by the skimmer will be caught by the pool skim. Whether or not it will catch the acorns depends on if/how long they will float.

Well, I think I'm going to try the PoolSkim. It's much cheaper than the alternative of a solar reel and cover I was going to try. Plus, I'll be covering the pool for the winter in about another month anyway.

I appreciate all the advice, thanks. :goodjob:

I'll let you all know how it works for me. It can only help improve my situation, right?

Johnny B: Thanks, I did see that article, that's why I want to put the borates in. I need to get the test strips, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You said that "It seems like it wouldn't get the leaves at the other end of the pool" talking about the Poolskim. With the way your skimmer currently works, is it leaving leaves in one spot of your pool?

I have a Poolskim and I only have one return that is next to the skimmer. I was using it and it was helping to catch the pine needles and was a good backup for the skimmer, but it was a pain to empty. The pine needles and beetles would get stuck in the net and I would have to stick my hands in and remove them, which freaked me out! I would imagine the leaves would dump out easier than the needles though. I decided to remove the Poolskim and just let the skimmer do the work. It is easier for me to dump out the skimmer basket than fight with the Poolskim net. Less contact with the bugs and such, but I do have to empty the skimmer more often.

As for the circulation, I feel like I had good circulation with and without the Poolskim as long as I kept them both cleaned out. The water shooting out of the return goes through the Poolskim and then shoots out where the collection net is located. This throws the stuff it catches into the net and then the water goes through the net and circulates around the pool. It seemed to me that the only difference in water pressure with versus without a Poolskim was when the net had collected a bunch of junk. The Poolskim is definately a nice backup for the skimmer, but without it my skimmer eventually gets everything off the top. That's why I was wondering if yours does.

Also, I read a tip on another post about using a ping pong ball to see how your water circulates. That was neat to do and gave me more confidence that I had the circulation that I needed.

Now is where I will give the disclaimer that I am not an expert by far. This is my first year with a pool and I have been reading and learning a lot from this website, and I still have questions I am constantly asking! I just wanted to tell you my experience with the Poolskim. And the tree is beautiful! I bet it gives great shade, which is always welcome! I know it sucks to have to deal with the leaves, but your pool and yard has character where mine is boring and shadeless.

numberonenole,

but it was a pain to empty. The pine needles and beetles would get stuck in the net and I would have to stick my hands in and remove them, which freaked me out!

I have a lot of pine needles also. The inside of our PoolSkim net was sewn very roughly and would catch a lot of stuff. Someone else on TFP suggested to turn the net inside out so that the rough sewing would be on the outside. This helped out a lot with cleaning. Now I just hold the sewn end and put the open end over the trash can - a couple of "bounces" and the entire mess slides out into the garbage. We still get pine needles and other debris that get stuck in the net, though. I tend to ignore these and just put the net back on. Also, the net cleans up much easier if you let it dry out first.

I ordered the Pool Skim this morning and it comes with an extra bag. :goodjob: This way I can put a clean one on and let the dirty one dry out before I put it back on. I don't have pine needles, but I'll probably turn it inside out anyway.

I don't really have a problem with the leaves gathering at one end of the pool. They just seem to sink before they can get to the skimmer. My concern is that I have a two speed pump and if I put the pump on high is it going to push all the leaves through the bag, or is it fine enough that it will keep the leaves in? I guess I'll find out in a few days when I get the Pool Skim.

Another thing I've been dealing with...I have a ton of pock marks/divots in the bottom of my pool. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm afraid it's going to compromise my liner eventually. I'm not sure if it's the sand giving way underneath (we get massive storms her that 'cause a lot of ground water) or if the moles have gotten too close. :?

The extra bag will make it much easier. It didn't come with an extra one when I got mine, so that's a nice addition.

The leaves will not get through. There is not much that does. Mine even catches small bugs.

Yes, I have a million of them.. :x I can't say how they will affect the integrity of the liner. This is just my second year with it. I had the liner replaced last year and they did not do a proper job compacting the sand. Since the water pressure is low, it took a long time to fill and I didn't see the wrinkles/divots/pockmarks until the pool was already filled. So far, it hasn't cause any problems other than to annoy the heck out of me. Maybe someone else will check in that has a better answer.

Johnny B said:
Do you think a Pool Skim would work in my situation?
My Returns is two sawed off (half-inch?) pipes.
I do have a Polaris it's male end screws into the female end that is in the wall
I have 2 Jets that are a Return.
Hey, Johnny B. The Pool Skim appears to have a pretty wide connection, recommend contacting the company to find out if it's doable with 1/2" return (measure inside diameter of the return pipe first to be sure.) Don't think you want to connect to a jet. Then follow this post -- I'm sure michelbie will let us know what she thinks of the performance!

Johnny B, I noticed on the installation video for PoolSkim that they have several adapters, but I couldn't tell if they had any for smaller pipes. I found this link in response to your question: http://x.havuz.org/viewtopic.php?t=7903

Heatmsr, I hate the stupid pockmarks. Not only is it annoying while you are swimming, but it makes vacuuming a real pain! My pool is three years old and I only had one or two prior to this summer. Now, my liner is wrinkled on the side wall and I have a ton of pock marks in the bottom. We have a mole problem, so I thought they might be the cause of the marks near the edge, but not the ones in the center. Who knows? The moles are just something else I have to take care of.

Thanks for all the input, I will let you know if the PoolSkim helps solve my leaf/algae problem. Oh, and the acorns do float for a little while before sinking to the bottom, so hopefully it will help there also. And, I am getting a new ladder because I am tired of the leaves getting trapped under the one I have.

FYI...I've had the PoolSkim for almost a week and it does seem to be helping. I think the tree is dropping less leaves, but the PoolSkim is really helping with the acorns and the bugs. It has probably cut my vacuuming down about 50%. :whoot: So, I thank you for the suggestion. Oh, and having the extra bag is a big bonus. I just switch them out, let the dirty one dry, clean it out and switch them out again.

I have extra bag for each of my two PSs and I found out really quickly that turning the bag inside out really helps. Be sure to keep the strings clipped if you have a cleaner like the Aquabot that goes up to surface right by bag or the strings will get wound around the front scrubber.

More importantly, if you have enough debris, as I do, I don't even rinse it out. I just take it off and dump into plant litter container and put right back on. I only use the extra bag(s) in fall and winter when the debris fills the bag (that hold a surprisingly huge amount of stuff) fills up very quickly with what seems like the whole forest. On heavy days I empty the two PS several times a day. Now that it's spring less stuff is entering pool but I still have to empty the bag daily or every other day. Keep in mind I have as much stuff going into my pool, on a daily basis, as MOST people have in a months time. The bags really really do hold a lot. The bag is somewhat sticky and catches finer stuff than you would expect. If there are a few larger pieces of plant/tree debris the really fine stuff like dust, pollen, and tiny bugs gets caught in the larger debris. The bag then compacts quite a bit. I have to give it a few good, hard shakes over the waste container to get the stuff to dislodge.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Pool Skim(s)? :lol:

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.