Prepping ground for new-to-us AG pool

Jun 20, 2018
Galesburg, MI
Hello, I'm new to this site. I found it when searching online for information on leveling the ground for a pool. We recently purchased a used Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 48" pool. We had a smaller pool a few years ago, but gave it to some friends because our teenagers never used it. Our younger kids are getting old enough to swim now, so that's why we purchased this pool.

We really only had one decent option for the pool location, and that's in the center of our fenced-in backyard. The soil is very sandy here. Over the past couple of summers our kids have used it as a sand pit for a play area. After purchasing this pool I removed the top layer of grass from the surrounding area to make a 17-18' circle. This area, unfortunately, is next to a couple of trees, so the number of roots is insane. I've removed as many as I could in the process of leveling the ground, but I know there's more buried beneath the surface. I also don't have the ground perfectly level. There's about a 1.5"-2" drop over that 18' distance. I've read on other sites that this is acceptable, as long as I'm putting sand down on top of the ground. I had 3 cubic yards of mason sand delivered this morning and I'm planning on using that to finish the leveling. I've also seen some people suggest putting rigid foam insulation down on the ground to increase comfort and provide a weed/root barrier.

I used a hand tamper last night to tamp down the existing ground as best as I could, and I'm planning on doing that with the mason sand as well. Probably will be leveling it, then wetting it down, then tamping it, then re-wetting it, then tamping it again. Just want to make sure we have a solid base for the pool. The high sand content of our ground has me a little concerned.

Does what I've outlined sound like a decent approach for this pool? Should I be doing anything additional to ward off roots? How important is it to use foam insulation along with the sand? If I use both, should I put the insulation above or beneath the sand?

As you are in MI, I assume you will be disassembling this pool every winter and storing it indoors?

Oh man, I sure hope not! Isn't there some way to decently winterize it and leave it up? We didn't take down our previous pool over the winter. We just drained some of the water and covered it with a tarp. I know very little about pools. Trying to do a better job of it this time around.

You can winterize an intex pool. Just bump up chlorine to slam level, plug the inlets and returns, and cover the pool. Drain the pump and filter and store those inside a garage or shed.

Speaking from a rigid metal ABG standpoint

You want the pool resting on undisturbed ground, on blocks, not on the sand.

Speaking as somebody with a civil engineering background.

Randomly "wetting" and then hand tamping the sand is next to useless. That is akin to keeping your pool chlorinated by not measuring the water, and then adding a random amount of an unknown concentration of bleach. It might work, but chances are in the long run, it is going to get you into trouble.

Soils will pack to a maximum density at a specific moisture content. If you have more or less moisture in the soil, you can pack it all day long with the largest compactor you can find, and you will never reach that maximum density.

Randomly adding water means you are pretty much ensured you are not going to me at the optimal moisture content. Couple that with the fact that a hand tamper is pretty much useless, and there is a good chance your sand is going to settle over time.

I realize that most people dont have the desire or ability to run Proctor tests to determine compaction curves, and then measure their soils moisture content, so lets forgo that. Instead, first use a vibratory plate compactor - rent one from your local rental shop. Not only will it do a better job, but for the $40 or so it will cost you for a half day, your back and arms will thank you for not using a hand tamper.

Next, be careful with the water. Too much is just as bad as too little. Go slow, and make sure the sand is ALL damp, not just the top 1/4 inch. Shovel it out in thin layers, and mist each if that works.

Get everything level, its going to settle. If you start out level, you have a better chance of being withing tolerances when it does settle.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.