safe water temp. to end bleach?

draining the pool as we speak. i drain it to about 8" to 10" below the return. my question is this - at what water temp will i not have to worry about anything growing in there? i plan to keep pouring bleach in the water unitll it gets cold enough to not have to worry about it.
also... i plan to empty the sand filter to inspect the laterals (i was having some filtering problems and want to make sure one isn't broke or something). can i save the sand and re-use it next year (it was new sand at the start of this season)? i'm assuming i can, but just wanted the advice of my pool gurus.
as this may be my last post of the season, i just wanted to thank you all for the great advice i've gotten here this past pool season. i tell everyone i know who owns a pool about this forum. you guys & gals are the best!!!
talk to y'all in the spring when i re-order test chemicals and start this whole crazy pool roller-coaster all over again.
delfargo out.

Algae will grow even in ice, but very very slowly.

The general consensus is that when you hit 50*F the growth slows so much you can safely stop adding bleach. Many here will do a final shock, maybe add polyquat 60, and close for winter.

I don't think that you want to be adding chemicals without a running pump unless you can circulate the water another way.

I keep everything hooked up and running until the water temp hits the 50's. Then I vacuum, balance the chemicals, shock, drain to 6 inches below the return, drain/remove pump and selected plumbing bits, cover and call it a season. Opened to a pretty clean/clear pool this season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.