Planning 2019 AGP - small yard!

Snboc

Jun 20, 2018
Cary, IL
Hi! New here :) planning to build an AGP for our very small yard for next year and spending this year planning permits, installation costs, location, best pumps/filters... etc!

We are looking to get anywhere between a 15-18’ doughboy AGP and wondering if anyone has pics of these sizes? I would love to go a little larger, even just to 21’ but I don’t believe our yard (plus the village ordinance that requires pools to be 8’ off property line..) will allow for it.

I have emailed a few pool installers and asked them if they would be willing to come out/measure our yard and see what size we could get but any pictures/feedback on size and Doughboy pools would be appreciated!!

photos of small yard attached

Attachments

• 1AA4A26B-5893-4E34-867A-E85E267FC8BE.jpg
    1AA4A26B-5893-4E34-867A-E85E267FC8BE.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 150
You can use anything that can outline a pool and be seen easily to see what size pool will fit in your yard. Some people use garden hose or baking flour to make the outline. Since you have easements you have to keep open, mark those first with flour, then draw out the largest pool you think will fit. Allow an extra foot all the way around the perimeter so you can access the pool from all sides. For example, if you want a 21' pool draw a 23' circle. Once you have it marked out take a picture of the yard from your upstairs window so you can see how it looks and whether you want to tweek the location.

Also look at where it will be most logical to put the pump and filter in regards to electrical access, space to work, and aesthetics. Skimmers work best if you position them so prevailing winds blow toward the skimmer opening. This will also play a role in positioning your pool equipment.

You may also want to trim your trees before install so the pool gets a good amount of sun to warm the water.

Just measure 8 ft off each of your property lines and then measure in between your marks. This will give you the max size no need really to be laying out pool shapes to figure it out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I agree that 15' sounds so small! Was hoping to see some inspiration on the smaller sized pools, couldn't find much in the forums in regards to pics.

Here's some aerial pics of the yard. I feel like oval would be hard without taking out trees unless it was almost diagonal, which is why we were trying to fit a smaller (ideally 21' if possible) round in the space next to the deck (and then eventually extending the deck to wrap around!)

IMG_9087.jpgIMG_9088.jpgIMG_9089.jpg

You should have you yard checked for any underground utilities that might run thru it.

A diagonal oval will get you the biggest pool for that yard most likely. Even with a round pool it is likely you will want to loose one of the two trees so the pool doesn't kill them or the tree roots don't become a problem. Not to mention the keeping all of those leaves out of the pool will be some work.

As others have said getting out there with a string or some marking paint and a tape measure is your best bet to figure out when will fit. With any above ground pool there is a 2-3 foot over dig area all the way around the pool to allow for the fame to be set. Make sure to figure that in when laying out your size ideas.

Deciduous trees and a pool are like oil and water. They don't mix. We have two trees in the back yard and spring I fight leaves and seeds (the locust tree puts out millions (it seems) of tiny seedpods. Then in the fall into the winter you deal with leaves.

I'm not trying to discourage you-- but just be aware, the maintenance goes up with trees. The grandkids love the pool, so I put up with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is my plan... we have JULIE *the dig safe people* coming out to mark utility lines today because if anything is blocking this section we are pretty much screwed (the rest of the yard is far too shady and we wanted to leave a good amount of grassy area for our two young boys to play... this area would be perfect because it would be easy to build off of the existing deck to get a second level to wrap around.... hopefully not just a pipe dream! :) pool.jpg

I know it seems like you don't want to loose a tree but that one by the blue chair will be problematic once the pool is up. You will also be able to fit a good bit bigger pool in by taking that tree down.

Good call on checking the area for utility lines. I'm guessing your are on public water and sewer so you don't have a septic system to worry about.

Yeah the pool has to be 8 feet off the side property line so even if we were to lose the tree we couldn't go too much bigger. I will get some quotes of taking it down though just for peace of mind with the roots and whatnot.

My biggest worry is it took me a while to convince my "never had a pool" husband to get a pool so ideally the less cost the better haha ;)

Yes we're on public water/sewer luckily!

As one of those never wanted a pool husbands and for the longest time thought above ground pools just weren't deep enough to be fun, then all the horror stories you hear about maintenance and the cost of chemicals ect. I have to say I couldn't be happier that with our choice to put a pool up. More often than not I have to convince people to use it and they wanted it more than I did to begin with.

While you are here looking for advice on design and location make sure to read up on the maintenance and chemistry in ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. If you stick with us here on TFP you will be amazed at how easy and inexpensively you can maintain a pool that is crystal clear and never goes green. I know it sounds like a bad sales pitch but nothing you see or read here on this site is paid for or promoted by any pool companies. This site is run by volunteers and its operating costs are covered by user donations.

Thanks!! I've been reading up on everything!!! Love this site! I grew up with a pool and my dad was always the type to shock like crazy when he would go without maintenance for a few weeks so I definitely know from experience that staying on top of it is the way to go haha

Thanks!! I've been reading up on everything!!! Love this site! I grew up with a pool and my dad was always the type to shock like crazy when he would go without maintenance for a few weeks so I definitely know from experience that staying on top of it is the way to go haha

Girl after my own heart!!! Reading up and learning BEFORE getting the pool...................SCORE!! Well done!

Here is hoping they don't find anything in that spot. It will be the purrfect place (without the pretty tree :() I LOVE that you are leaving room for the kids to run and play!! Good parenting!

Kim:kim:

Is there any chance you could get or try to apply for a waiver of this 8 foot, property line village rule? If they were to give a few feet here or there it might improve your options. Just a thought. Your problem is like mine. Small yard syndrome, and the best place for a pool is smack dab straight down the middle, and you don't want it there.:mad::mad:

Just chiming in here. I have an 18 foot round AG. I don’t think it’s too small, but anything smaller would be. My back neighbor actually has a 12 foot AG that’s not an intex. It looks like a soaking barrel. I wouldn’t go below 18 feet!

Also the trees. I have a LOT of trees in my yard. Only one is mine the rest are neighbors that grow into my yard. My pool only gets sun 2 hours a day and only half the pool.

My water never once in 5 years I’ve had it has gone above 78. The 78-79 came in a heatwave.

My winter cover got a hole this year and we had some of the worst pollen in years. I am on week three of cleaning pollen from my water. It still isn’t fully clear.

Trees are a pain with a pool! We got estimates to trim and some weee into the thousands. They’re super tall.

I can get a shot of that 12 foot pool if you want tomorrow. The ladder takes up most of it. Really when you see it you’ll change your mind real fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.