Pool light will not light, suspected transformer issues

Hello,

I've been scouring the threads and found a couple people with similar issues but nothing that answers my exact questions.

My Hayward colorlogic light will not light up. Initially when we moved in it would like up for a short period of time and then go out. Most recently it stopped turning on at all and if it ever turns out it's very faint.

I think the problem is with my transformer. The light requires a 120v/12v transformer and my model is 300w. The transformer is an International PX300.

When I take my multimeter I get an input voltage of about 122v and an output voltage of about 6v. If I connect to the 13v or 14v available wires on the transformer I got about 6.5v and 7v respectively.

I figured from what I read that the transformer was bad. I replaced the transformer with a brand new one the same PX300. I took the readings today and had similar results. All 3 input connection points on the transformer yield about 6v. Needless to say the light didn't light up.

So my questions are, was my evaluation correct and a low voltage out of the transformer means bad transformer?

What are the odds the brand new transformer having the same issue?

Are there any other tests I can run before I return this new transformer?

Thank you very much in advance my wife and kids have been begging for this light haha I'm trying but I could use some expertise.

Bill

So my questions are, was my evaluation correct and a low voltage out of the transformer means bad transformer?
Sorry to say but you're wrong! You need to test the transformer 12 VAC output without the load.

What are the odds the brand new transformer having the same issue?
None! very, very rare if any!

Are there any other tests I can run before I return this new transformer?
Use a set of test clip or whatever to perform the 12VAC test mentioned above. If you want to have fun, wire a couple of automotive bulbs or 55 watts headlamp and watch for voltage drop. It should stay at 12V without exceeding 300W load.

Most likely, the problem is your existing pool light(s).

Thank you for the reply. So it doesn't seem like it was the transformer after all, I guess as expected at this point.

However I didn't need to remove the load. Turns out I was just testing in the transformer output incorrectly.

Anyway no I know that the transformer is sending the 12v as per design so now I need to head down the line and go to the light and see what the light is receiving. If I get the 12v at the light I'm confident I can fix from there I'm just hoping not to have to pull wire. I'm going to remove my pool light if I can and I'll update if I still have questions. Nothing like a little water and electricity!

Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.