I received my TF-100 today and here is my first set of results:

FC=0
CC=.5
TA=160
CH=370
CYA=<20
pH=7.5

A couple of questions:
-Chlorine drop test: When I added R-870 the water stayed clear. I assume this means FC=0. I added the R-0003, it turned pink but only took 1 drop of R-0871 to turn clear, so CC=.5, right?
-On the TA test, why do you need to wipe the tip of the R-0009 bottle after every drop?
-Do I need to worry about CH since I have a vinyl pool?
-For CYA I filled up the CA view tube and could still see the black dot. Is there something else I should do?
-pH is done using the test block and matching the color, right?

Pool water looks really clear except for some green algae on the bottom and sides.

This is my first attempt at BBB, so I am not sure what I need to do first. Thanks for the help!

4boys531 said:
I received my TF-100 today and here is my first set of results:

FC=0
CC=.5
TA=160
CH=370
CYA=<20
pH=7.5

A couple of questions:
-Chlorine drop test: When I added R-870 the water stayed clear. I assume this means FC=0. I added the R-0003, it turned pink but only took 1 drop of R-0871 to turn clear, so CC=.5, right?
Right.

-On the TA test, why do you need to wipe the tip of the R-0009 bottle after every drop?
Sometimes static electricity builds up and causes irregular drop sizes skewing the results.

-Do I need to worry about CH since I have a vinyl pool?
Only if it's too high, when combined with high PH. If you maintain your PH at 7.5 you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

-For CYA I filled up the CA view tube and could still see the black dot. Is there something else I should do?
Did you follow the mixing instructions properly? Is the solution completely clear or somewhat cloudy but you can still see the dot? How were you previously chlorinating the pool? Do you have any reason to suspect it should be higher? Depending on how much swim season you have left (If you did the test correctly) you want to add enough to bump it up to 40 or so - I would use the pool calculator to determine the dosage to reach 20ppm and see where you are at in about a week. Do you know how to add CYA?

-pH is done using the test block and matching the color, right?
Right.

Pool water looks really clear except for some green algae on the bottom and sides.

This is my first attempt at BBB, so I am not sure what I need to do first. Thanks for the help!

First thing you should do is follow the steps in "Defeating Algae" and "How to Shock your Pool" - articles in pool school. While you are in the process of shocking you can increase your CYA level.

Hope this helps, holler if you need clarification on anything. :wave:

For the CYA test, the water was cloudy and the dot was close to being gone but I could still see it. I was using 3" pucks but I haven't been real good about keeping up with the pool lately. I thought it might be high due to the pucks. I ran the CYA test again just to verify and this time the black dot was even more clear. Do I need to get the stabilizer from a pool store? Is that all its called or is there a specific chemical name I should ask for?

I will add the recommended amount of bleach from the pool calculator for my shock level and keep checking FC levels throughout the day tomorrow.

Do I need to worry about TA right now or just focus on getting the pool shocked and clear of algae?

Clear up the algae first.

At the pool store, it is usually called stabilizer or sometimes conditioner but you want the ingredients to read cyanuric acid 100% (or close to 100%).

Don't worry about TA until after the algae has been dealt with.
--paulr

If I lived in Indiana, I think I would forgo the CYA until next Spring.

The chlorine consumption is about to drop dramatically as the weather cools.

Shocking the pool makes sense but I'm not CYA is required at this late date.

I'm inclined to agree with Dave - Lafayette isn't that far from me....I finally turned my heater off, I think I took my last swim for the season on Tuesday. I'd hold off on the CYA till Spring and just focus on shocking for now (before you close). :wink:

Thanks for all the help. I have the pool at FC=15, CC=0.5 which is slightly above shock level for me but I will test again in an hour or so as I just brushed off all the algae. Once I can maintain shock level, is that all I should worry about for this season? Should the water be a certain temperature before I quit running the pump and disconnect everything?

My FC keeps dropping...is it as simple as keep adding bleach until the number stays stable?
Sorta' yes and no. It is as simple as adding bleach to bring it back up to the desired level but it will never become stable. Chlorine is a consumable item that is reduced by the sun and/or organics in your pool.....it require continual replenishment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.