Recommend a salt-water-tolerant deck/surround material~

Lana537

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Hello all~

I would appreciate advice on coping and deck/surround materials that will easily tolerate the splash-out from my salt water pool. Also, please advise which materials to avoid.

We are planning a pool renovation and don't want to install a material that will erode easily.

Maybe there are folks out there who live along the Florida coast, where I imagine this sort of thing is routinely taken into consideration? I thought I had seen such a thread, but I cannot for the life of me find it again, and I would appreciate as much advice as possible.

Thank you very much.

Lana

PS--Pool Builder and DH are looking toward Belgard pavers; I haven't seen brochure yet.....will they survive?

My two year old poured concrete (with the tan color dialed up a bit) deck hasn't suffered any evident abuse from salt water splash out, and I think it gets a considerable amount from various sources. The pool sweep sometimes drenches the deck with a jet stream of water, the solar cover contributes more salt water when it's dragged out of the pool (several times a week), swimmers carry out several gallons a week. During swim season I use a garden hose to wash debris (and salt too, presumably) from the deck maybe every 10 days. Other times of the year the deck goes several weeks before being hosed off. The only caution I wish I'd exercised was during the first few weeks of pool ownership, when I hastily sat a sealed gallon jug of muriatic acid on the concrete before measuring out a cup or two for the pool. That mistake resulted in an unsightly brownish-red ring that could not be removed. The stain could have been lifted immediately if the area had heen quickly doused with water from hose or pool! Lesson learned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.