Re-Plaster or Rebuil

H2Onut

Sep 16, 2009
Do concrete pool shells have a lifespan, should the shell be demolished and rebuilt if there is no history of problems with cracking?

The pool is at a small condominium project in Kauai, Hawaii. It was built in the late 60's early 70's timeframe. It was re-plastered in 1992. There is a cold joint where the deep end meets the shallow end that was sealed before the re-plastering. Some of the plaster has come off so owners are trying to decide whether to re-plaster again or if it is time to have the shell demolished and rebuilt. Other than the cold joint, there is no history of problems with cracks in the shell. If the shell is in good condition should we be concerned with it's age or other issues?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

H2Onut

I'm sure some of the more experienced folks with concrete pools will chime in but if there's no issues with the base structure, I see no reason to demolish it. I'd think it just needs a good replastering job.

Should be no reason to demo if it appears structurally sound. I would assume ( :shock: ) that it is built in volcanic soil, which should be pretty stable. Once the pool is drained and prepped for re-plaster it could be looked at to see if there are any structural concerns. If you can't see anything then I would think you'd be fine.

Bruce

H2Onut said:
Do concrete pool shells have a lifespan, should the shell be demolished and rebuilt if there is no history of problems with cracking?

The pool is at a small condominium project in Kauai, Hawaii.
Welcome waternut... er H2Onut, to TFP! :)

I have one question: Is this condo located on the island's south shore? Poipu?

If yes, please tell the owners to wait until next year on any planned replastering or demolition (I'm vacationing there at the end of November and will not be pleased if there is no pool available.) :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.