how much 0870 powder

If you are using a 25 ml sample size then you should use two scoops. If you are using a 10 ml sample size, then two scoops will give a darker more clear endpoint, but usually one scoop is sufficient and will give you nearly the same result. You can experiment using a 10 ml sample size both ways (one vs. two scoop) to see the difference in readings. The purpose of the powder is as an indicator dye and since you are just looking for a transition from colored (pink/red) to clear, the amount of dye isn't critical. You just need enough for the "last drop" transition to be reasonably distinct.

As an extreme example, if you were to use a fraction of a scoop of powder, then the sample would be so faint, especially as you were getting towards the end of the test, that you would have a hard time seeing it go from pink to clear and you'd probably underestimate the chlorine level. At the other extreme with excess powder, the transition would be easy to see but you'd use more powder and it's possible that there might be some residual faint pink remaining as visible (this last effect is speculation on my part and may not occur).

Richard

The reference to using one heaping or two scoops comes from IIRC the instructions for the different kits. The Taylor K-2006 calls for two scoops and the TF100 kit calls for one heaping scoop. It amounts to the same thing really.

Chem Geeks posts goes into the why's and wherefores and should help you understand the process. I know it sure does me. :-D

One scoop...two scoops...these are only guidelines. The repeatability of the FAS-DPD test is +/- 1 drop and there is only one way to know if your method can reproduce this accuracy. Test it! How many of you took the time and effort to do repeat tests to see if your method is accurate?

The amount of powder is only one variable that can affect the accuracy of this test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did some testing awhile back. I did 13 tests in a row using brand new chemicals. 11 of the tests were done with a 25ml sample and 2 of the tests were done with a 50ml sample. (For the 50ml tests, I doubled the powder, and counted each drop as 0.1ppm.) I did find that using two heaping scoops instead of two level scoops would make the test results show about 12% more chlorine available (7.2ppm - 36 drops vs 6.4ppm - 32 drops). I was extremely careful to rinse out the tube with pool water several times between each test. I was also very careful to get the water level exactly on the proper mark. I am fairly confident that the variation I saw between the heaping tests and the level tests were caused solely by the difference in powder quantities. I'm about ready to order some more chemicals. Maybe I'll order some extra and do this more extensively again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.