Magic Eraser

Mar 16, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Not sure where to put this so I'll just leave it here. Over the weekend someone forwarded me a facebook post. The person claimed that their pool was tinted green from iron and that adding more chlorine made the problem worse. They swore adding magic erasers to the skimmer was clearing their water by getting the iron out. Anyone have any idea what was actually going on in that pool as I do not believe anything (within reason) can get iron out of the water?

A Magic Eraser is melamine (same stuff used for the CYA test), formaldehyde, sodium bisulfate (the chemical used for dry acid), and water. I see nothing there that would remove iron, maybe the bisulfate lowered the pH enough to dissolve it back in to solution.

I'm thinking it is more likely the person knows little about pool chemistry and just chucked something in their skimmer without a clue what it would do and rather than examine what might have happened is instead telling the world that they have the solution to a problem. In other words, a typical Facebook forward.

But they do work nicely to scrub the inside of a skimmer out. Getting rid of all the oil and black accumulated gunk.

I looked at a couple of facebook posts that claimed magic erasers where cleaning the green out of their pools, or pulling iron out of their pools. The ones that showed the water had water that was just as green as the magic erasers they pulled out of their skimmers.

I think it just a magnet for copper that's in the water and that what they are seeing on the msds on the magic eraser it says it reacts with oxidizer i am just spit balling here I am wondering if the cloudiness wasn't a metal issue and imbalance issue that wasn't resolved be the magic eraser
What annoys me is some of the comments suggesting that they don't need to use chlorine or any other sanitizer which is scary i service pool have a cpo lic from fla
And seen the dangers of a unsanitary pool. It drives me crazy on how most clients are looking for easy and cheap
It part of the reason I cut back on my client list some don't even have the
A basic test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.