Using Citric Acid for Stain Removal

pool_gal

In The Industry
Sep 16, 2009
I have been in the industry for about six years and just recently heard of using straight citric acid to remove stains on pool surfaces. I have spoken with multiple people who say that it works well, but obviously have no personal experience with the product. I would like to know the procedure for doing so (i.e. parameters necessary for successful treatment, one dose or multiple, effects on water chemistry and equipment, and post-treatment procedures).

Thank you.

BJHswim said:
I have a salt water chlorine generator. Will the chlorine breakdown back into salt upon contact with citric acid or will I need to add more salt?
When you do a metal stain treatment, using ascorbic acid, citric acid, or any other reducing agent, you lower your chlorine level first. After the treatment, any chlorine you add, including that from an SWG, will react with any remaining ascorbic acid, citric acid, or other reducing agent. You do not need to add any more salt. When the chlorine reacts with the reducing agent, it turns back into chloride salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.