Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Citric Acid for Stain Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Using Citric Acid for Stain Removal

I have been in the industry for about six years and just recently heard of using straight citric acid to remove stains on pool surfaces. I have spoken with multiple people who say that it works well, but obviously have no personal experience with the product. I would like to know the procedure for doing so (i.e. parameters necessary for successful treatment, one dose or multiple, effects on water chemistry and equipment, and post-treatment procedures).

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Using Citric Acid for Stain Removal

I just pour it in there and it works right before my eyes. lol

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Here's a link to a description of the process: ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298.html
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

When using citric acid, instead of ascorbic acid, you need to use about 1.5 to 2 times as much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Welcome to TFP.

Here's a link to a description of the process: ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298.html
    Thank you much...I don't plan on using the procedure myself, but nice to have the knowledge.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a salt water chlorine generator. Will the chlorine breakdown back into salt upon contact with citric acid or will I need to add more salt?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BJHswim
    I have a salt water chlorine generator. Will the chlorine breakdown back into salt upon contact with citric acid or will I need to add more salt?
    When you do a metal stain treatment, using ascorbic acid, citric acid, or any other reducing agent, you lower your chlorine level first. After the treatment, any chlorine you add, including that from an SWG, will react with any remaining ascorbic acid, citric acid, or other reducing agent. You do not need to add any more salt. When the chlorine reacts with the reducing agent, it turns back into chloride salt.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"