Done! AGP, Deck, Solar

kjcole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
Solon, Iowa
Well, almost done (staining :cry:).
One man, power tools, and lot's of encouragement from the wife and kids over last summer and this summer.

eagleprojectandpoolbuild040.jpg

eagleprojectandpoolbuild050.jpg

eagleprojectandpoolbuild051.jpg

eagleprojectandpoolbuild064.jpg

eagleprojectandpoolbuild067.jpg

eagleprojectandpoolbuild069.jpg

Still building deck skirting.

eagleprojectandpoolbuild072.jpg

New plumbing.

Now we just need some normal summer weather next year.

Kelly

I reused a lot of the pressure treated decking (grey set on diagonal) from the deck I tore down to make room for the pool. The white decking is 100% solid vinyl (Pro-Cell) that, while expensive, performs beautifully. No wood products to promote mold/mildew, cleans easily, and stays cool under the sun. Cuts and screws great as well. Highly recommended, but be prepared for sticker shock (that's why I chose not to use it for the entire deck). The alternating narrow/wide pieces on the end with the chaise lounges came about because I discovered I had enough scraps after ripping the vinyl for the vertical fascia hanging over the pool. Just couldn't stand to waste them considering their cost.

Kelly

MikeInTN said:
Looks great! I love the solar install - looks really neat and well planned out.
I like the solar install too. I was thinking of installing one on our roof but after seeing yours, I'm rethinking it.

MikeInTN said:
BTW, how big is that spider under your deck??? :shock:
You mean the one in front of the skimmer pipe??? :shock: She's a goodun, alright!

Bama Rambler said:
MikeInTN said:
Looks great! I love the solar install - looks really neat and well planned out.
I like the solar install too. I was thinking of installing one on our roof but after seeing yours, I'm rethinking it.

Yep, me too. The DW said the other day "I hate to say it, but I think we ought to look into some type of heater for next year". She got spoiled by the 90 degree water from the solar cover this year.. :lol:

Bama Rambler said:
MikeInTN said:
BTW, how big is that spider under your deck??? :shock:
You mean the one in front of the skimmer pipe??? :shock: She's a goodun, alright!

I'm sayin'!! pretty good sized egg sac too, so bunch of more spiders just waiting to be born!

OT - I was changing out floodlight mounts a few years back to ones that were motion-controlled, and when I opened up the first box and cleaned it out, had hundreds of little spiders crawling up my arms. I thought I was going to fall off the ladder trying to swat them all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I never considered roof-mounting on my 2+ story home, 'cause I'm chicken. If you have the room and a unobstructed southern exposure, rack-mounting has some advantages if you can get past the industrial-look landscaping effect. It doesn't take much pressure to run the system (I'm actually getting stronger return flows after installing the solar and going from 1.5 inch to 2 inch plumbing), any maintenance is easier, and if I want I can cover them with a tarp for winter. The disadvantages include potential damage from accidental impacts, vandals, animals chewing, etc.

For the solar panels I set some 4X4 pressure-treated into concrete and built the rest of the frame from treated 2X4's, and 'skip-sheathed' with 5/4 inch decking left over from the old deck. The panels are angled on the frame so they'll drain for the winter. I've strategically placed unions so the bulk of the piping jungle next to the pump/filter can be drained and even taken inside and stored if I want (most of it is attached to a wooden platform for support and stability). I'll feel better with the 3-way valves and motor drive inside for the winter. BTW, the Goldine controller for the solar works great.

Those 4 panels and the solar cover are keeping my pool near 80 deg even though the sun angle is getting low, our daytime highs now are in the mid-70's and the evening temps are in the 50's (we've had a sunny Sept. here). During high summer on sunny days some pretty hot water is pouring out of my return, and mid-80 or higher water is easily maintained during a normal Iowa summer. I'm pleased with the solar system, and especially like the TechnoSolis panel design.

Did you have to get a variance to put the pool that close to your house? Or is it farther away than it looks? Or are you more or less in an almost code free area like me? Or do you want me to see nothing and walk away quietly? :mrgreen:

There's about 5 feet from the pool wall to the foundation. We have a very 'attentive' building inspector, believe me. I drilled (by hand) more 4 ft footings for my deck posts than I care to remember. It wasn't so much as 'how close is the AGP to the house' as it was 'retain enough dirt against the foundation to prevent frost heaving.' The part of the house that is next to the pool is a 1985 addition to the original 1912 structure, and it sits over a crawl space (cement slab, poured walls, proper footings). So, the water from a catastrophic pool wall failure wouldn't end up in my basement. You can see my timbers for dirt retention (they sit on a deep trench of lime/gravel) and the timber walls are backfilled with gravel and drain tile to prevent hydrostatic forces. All water behind the walls and in the space surrounding the pool drains towards the spruce trees, and follows the sloping lot to the street.

I couldn't have put in an IG pool with only 5 ft to the pool wall, and that's what kept us from an IG pool (no other suitable site on our lot). My wife wanted an IG, and I promised her that I'd build her a deck that would make it feel like she had her IG pool if she could get by without a deep end. That explains a lot of my deck design.

Kelly

Ok, this is exactly the type of deck that I would love for my hubby to build around my mostly buried round 21' pool. Can you access your liner without removing the decking? Your set-up is beautiful!

Newb here to the forum...finding I'm getting a bit addicted to it. :)

Love your install and deck build...and love Solon, too. I lived in Cedar Rapids for a year 10 years ago but my co-workers are now family so we visit them every year at least once in Ely and Atkins. Go Hawkeyes!

kjcole said:
The alternating narrow/wide pieces on the end with the chaise lounges came about because I discovered I had enough scraps after ripping the vinyl for the vertical fascia hanging over the pool. Just couldn't stand to waste them considering their cost.

That gives is it a nice accent ,and is a great way to prevent waste! Everything looks really nice. Well done! :goodjob: Very nice location being between the house and garage too

And I love your house!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.