iAqualink Losing Connection When Making Change

Apr 6, 2015
Glenwood, MD
Upgraded to the Jandy RS and Aqualink 2.0 this season. My pool is constantly online and I can continually check on things via the app or the web page without any issues. However, whenever I make a change (e.g. spa mode, turn on heater, turn on cleaner, etc.) I temporarily lose connection about 50% of the time. Sometimes it takes the command and sometimes it doesn't. I have rechecked the actual connections and they are securely fastened. It usually comes back online within about 30 seconds or so. Anybody have any idea of what could be going on?

Can you give a little more detail? Is this on the app or your laptop or both? If on the app, is it the basic screens, or through the Web option only? What message is displayed - is it "waiting for connection"? Is the problem with the toggle options not responding? I think some of us have reported that kind of slow response. A Jandy "feature". :)

If there is no "connection" message, there is a possibility you are seeing the delay associated with valve changes. For example, when you select Spa Mode, the pump will go off if you have the Pump Lockout set, and you can't do other things while the valves move to the spa positions. This takes 30 seconds or so. If you have a cleaner valve and a heater valve, that would also explain the delay for those functions. But those delays would happen consistently, so maybe that is not what you are experiencing.

Interesting information about the time out - I never considered what is happening to be a "feature". I will have to pay more attention to when this is happening and how consistently. I almost exclusively use the app and this seems to happen most frequently when using the toggle switches, but also happens when I use the "web" part as well. I will literally lose connection - if I go back out and refresh the main page with the name of my pool it will show a red dot. If I keep refreshing, it will eventually show up again as green. The more I think about it, I can't imagine this is by design - at least I hope not. This can happen when I turn on the blower for the spa, or the cleaner, things that don't activate any valves. Even if it was a "time-out" of sorts, would you expect I would actually lose connection to the app? If this is actually the case, is there a setting in the menus to determine what controls should activate this mode?

I should mention that once or twice this happened when I was trying to program pump speeds, etc and I lost connection before I could save the new settings. I then ended up in an endless loop where I couldn't do anything because the system said I had to save my settings before moving on, but I couldn't get back to the page to save the settings. I ended up having to turn the breakers off to everything and power everything back up.

I guess a call to Jandy can't hurt. I wonder if it has to do with only having a marginal wifi signal near my pool equipment and when the control module is doing its thing somehow it is interfering with the signal. As an aside, I have a permanent panel installed on the wall inside my house, and it operates without any issues. I'm also about to get the netgear orbi (wifi mesh) system for my house that should generate a much stronger wifi signal. I will be getting this regardless - will be interesting to see if this helps at all. But like I said, if I'm not actually sending commmands, it doesn't lose the connection, so who knows...

if I go back out and refresh the main page with the name of my pool it will show a red dot.

You are right. This is not a valve issue, but probably a wifi signal issue. The red dot is the give-away, imo.

The Jandy manual mentions that air blowers can interfere with the signal and I think suggest that you place your antenna 6-10 ft away. OTOH, our antennae is about 1 foot from the air blower and has never interfered. Perhaps your weaker signal is susceptible and it would be worth a try to move your antenna away from the blower, and closer to your wifi access point, as PoolGate suggested.

I upgraded to an orbi a few months ago it seemed to help my system perform faster.
Another option depending on where you put your orbi is to run the iAquaLink into the house and then connect via hardwire.

I placed my 2nd orbi on the Wall by my pool equipment and the iAquaLink wire is long enough that I’m going to drill a hole and relocate it inside. It’s on my todo list. It also gets the iAquaLink out of the weather and hot sun.

Okay, picked up a 3 three piece Orbi system today ($70 off at Costco right now BTW) and installed it. Even without getting the additional outside satellite unit, my signal is significantly stronger in the backyard. I think my biggest wifi issue is that my house has brick on all 4 sides, which just killed my signal. I have played around with it for the last hour and the iaqualink is working beautifully. It has not lost connection regardless of what combination of buttons I press. So I guess it was my weak wifi signal all along. It's just strange how the issue would only crop up when sending commands - maybe it had something to do with not enough bandwidth to handle the data for commands, but enough to report back status. I'm just guessing at this point. I THINK I'm good to go now, but will report back if any issues return. I guess the take away is if your system is acting screwy make sure you have a strong signal. Thank you to everyone who helped!

Upgraded to the Jandy RS and Aqualink 2.0 this season. My pool is constantly online and I can continually check on things via the app or the web page without any issues. However, whenever I make a change (e.g. spa mode, turn on heater, turn on cleaner, etc.) I temporarily lose connection about 50% of the time. Sometimes it takes the command and sometimes it doesn't. I have rechecked the actual connections and they are securely fastened. It usually comes back online within about 30 seconds or so. Anybody have any idea of what could be going on?

I have been having this exact same issue for several months now. The folks at Jandy have been helpful but have not yet solved my problem. I am having a company come out next week to work on it. I'll report back. It's not a wi-fi issue, from what I can tell, because the signal strength at the antenna is good. Plus, I've had the antenna and my router in the same place for well over a year and never had the issue until only a few months ago. Typically when the wi-fi drops, the green dot in the app will go red. That's not what's happening. Just like yours, mine drops offline the moment I try to make a change. Also around 50% of the time. Very frustrating. I'll keep you posted!

-Chad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I’ve been having the same connection issue described in this thread as well as a few others on the site. My pool is about 18 months old and everything worked perfectly until Jandy did their server maintenance at the end of March.

When I called Jandy tech support about the issue in March, I was told they migrated to a new server during their maintenance outage. The rep said that the new server had some bugs they were working through. He told me the server upgrade was done so that they could support a new and improved app user interface, where they were planning on merging the regular app functionality with the “web” tab functionality. He said that they had been experiencing some isolated outages after the maintenance period, but they would be resolved soon. That was over 3 months ago and still having issues!

During the last 3 months I have called tech support well over 10 times without any resolution. I’ve gone through a whole litany of troubleshooting exercises, from resetting the app, reinstalling the app, resetting my profile location, resetting my entire online account, resetting my system remotely through Jandy’s network, router resets and antennae replacement.

My internet bandwidth was also measured at over 50 mb per second where my antennae is located and it has all signal bars showing up. This was measured at the same time I experienced a connection freeze.

We escalated to my local authorized Jandy repair company and they were unable determine the issue, so they brought out the local Jandy rep to investigate.

They both agreed it was likely a software issue on the server side and not anything hardware related. Several inside tech support reps and my local rep have said all customers with this connection issue all have att internet service. Although my internet provider and router are the same today, as they were when my pool was setup 18 months ago and working fine, they think there may be a connection with att customers having this issue. However, my neighbor with identical Jandy setup and att router has no issues.

When the Jandy rep came out, he was confident that another reset through the Jandy network would do the trick. I told him that I’ve done that multiple times over the phone with tech support and he assured me that he was doing some sort of advanced reset that hasn’t yet been done on my system. Just like all the other resets, it worked for an hour or so then went back to having the exact same connection issues.

The Jandy rep assured me they would make it right, but after 3 months of not having a properly working system, I’m fed up with the excuses and lack of resolution.

That brings me to my first post on trouble free pool!

Has anyone else with this connection/freezing issue gotten it resolved? If so, what did you do?

Can you also mention who your internet service provider is?

Thanks,

Mike

I’ve been having the same connection issue described in this thread as well as a few others on the site. My pool is about 18 months old and everything worked perfectly until Jandy did their server maintenance at the end of March.

When I called Jandy tech support about the issue in March, I was told they migrated to a new server during their maintenance outage. The rep said that the new server had some bugs they were working through. He told me the server upgrade was done so that they could support a new and improved app user interface, where they were planning on merging the regular app functionality with the “web” tab functionality. He said that they had been experiencing some isolated outages after the maintenance period, but they would be resolved soon. That was over 3 months ago and still having issues!

During the last 3 months I have called tech support well over 10 times without any resolution. I’ve gone through a whole litany of troubleshooting exercises, from resetting the app, reinstalling the app, resetting my profile location, resetting my entire online account, resetting my system remotely through Jandy’s network, router resets and antennae replacement.

My internet bandwidth was also measured at over 50 mb per second where my antennae is located and it has all signal bars showing up. This was measured at the same time I experienced a connection freeze.

We escalated to my local authorized Jandy repair company and they were unable determine the issue, so they brought out the local Jandy rep to investigate.

They both agreed it was likely a software issue on the server side and not anything hardware related. Several inside tech support reps and my local rep have said all customers with this connection issue all have att internet service. Although my internet provider and router are the same today, as they were when my pool was setup 18 months ago and working fine, they think there may be a connection with att customers having this issue. However, my neighbor with identical Jandy setup and att router has no issues.

When the Jandy rep came out, he was confident that another reset through the Jandy network would do the trick. I told him that I’ve done that multiple times over the phone with tech support and he assured me that he was doing some sort of advanced reset that hasn’t yet been done on my system. Just like all the other resets, it worked for an hour or so then went back to having the exact same connection issues.

The Jandy rep assured me they would make it right, but after 3 months of not having a properly working system, I’m fed up with the excuses and lack of resolution.

That brings me to my first post on trouble free pool!

Has anyone else with this connection/freezing issue gotten it resolved? If so, what did you do?

Can you also mention who your internet service provider is?

Thanks,

Mike

I would also say it is your equipment. I see no possible way that this is Jandy. I am 25 years in the network hardware end of the business (routers, switches, etc). My suggestion is to make ATT replace your router with a new one. Have you tried a total system reset on your router? 2nd thing I would do is get a long Ethernet cable and hardwire the connection. If that woks, it is your hardware 100%. Almost 100% of the time when there are issues like this and wireless is involved it is the wireless network.

Reactions: joshscott84
I would also say it is your equipment. I see no possible way that this is Jandy. I am 25 years in the network hardware end of the business (routers, switches, etc). My suggestion is to make ATT replace your router with a new one. Have you tried a total system reset on your router? 2nd thing I would do is get a long Ethernet cable and hardwire the connection. If that woks, it is your hardware 100%. Almost 100% of the time when there are issues like this and wireless is involved it is the wireless network.

Thanks for the response! We did a router reset and that didn’t work. It would be nice if I could get ATT to send a new router to rule that out, but all other connected devices in my house work just fine. I’m not sure they will send a new one when everything else works without issue but I will certainly try! Jandy said hard wiring the antennae wouldn’t work because I have a very strong signal. Although my router is close in proximity to the antennae, I don’t have any easy way to route the cable from inside to outside.

This problem started the day the server at Jandy crashed. I’ve had no other issues with this router in the 2 years since it’s been installed. I suppose Jandy may have reconfigured a setting on their new server that rendered my ATT router incompatible with its current configuration.

The tech tested my control panel and said all connections were working properly. They felt replacing hardware wouldn’t resolve it. The Jandy tech said my issue doesn’t appear to be related to the router either. I was hoping it was! He said some people have successfully fixed this by resetting their routers via ATT tech support, but he said my issue appears to be somewhere else. They aren’t necessarily blaming ATT, just saying they see this issue more often in my area with ATT customers.

I’ll try to get a new router, but welcome any other feedback from folks who have resolved this issue.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the response! We did a router reset and that didn’t work. It would be nice if I could get ATT to send a new router to rule that out, but all other connected devices in my house work just fine. I’m not sure they will send a new one when everything else works without issue but I will certainly try! Jandy said hard wiring the antennae wouldn’t work because I have a very strong signal. Although my router is close in proximity to the antennae, I don’t have any easy way to route the cable from inside to outside.

This problem started the day the server at Jandy crashed. I’ve had no other issues with this router in the 2 years since it’s been installed. I suppose Jandy may have reconfigured a setting on their new server that rendered my ATT router incompatible with its current configuration.

The tech tested my control panel and said all connections were working properly. They felt replacing hardware wouldn’t resolve it. The Jandy tech said my issue doesn’t appear to be related to the router either. I was hoping it was! He said some people have successfully fixed this by resetting their routers via ATT tech support, but he said my issue appears to be somewhere else. They aren’t necessarily blaming ATT, just saying they see this issue more often in my area with ATT customers.

I’ll try to get a new router, but welcome any other feedback from folks who have resolved this issue.

Thanks again for the help!

Just for testing you can run an Ethernet cable outside to the system. I very much think this is a wireless issue. The fact this works intermittently rules out a configuration issue.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI: If it turns out to be the wireless, you can get something like the below to make it easier to get a wired connection out to your equipment pad.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529765912&sr=8-3&keywords=ethernet+powerline

- - - Updated - - -

Check instructions for switching to wired. I think you have to take the cover off the wireless antenna and move a switch then power cycle the whole thing.

I can report that since installing the orbi system, the issues I was experiencing have completely disappeared and it has not dropped a connection or frozen even one time. I have Verizon FiOS and was using the wireless router they provided. Another option other than running a long internet cable or powerline is to get something like the orbi and see if it does the trick. You can always return it if doesn't do the work. My iaqualink was just installed in May, so I can't comment when it started. Good luck!

steinre1, Can I ask if you had to do anything special to make the iAqualink connect to the Netgear Orbi? I can not for the life of me get them to connect. I have an outdoor Orbi satellite and can get great speeds (>50Mbps) when I'm on my phone or laptop near the iAqualink 2.0. But the darn iAqualink won't connect to the Orbi wifi network- it sees the network fine and gives me full bars, but it will not connect to it after I choose it and enter the (correct) password. Strangely, I can get the iAqualink to connect to my neighbor's WiFi with a weak signal, but that's not a good long term solution.

Anyway, if you did anything special to get them to connect, I'd appreciate you sharing. Thanks!

steinre1, Can I ask if you had to do anything special to make the iAqualink connect to the Netgear Orbi? I can not for the life of me get them to connect. I have an outdoor Orbi satellite and can get great speeds (>50Mbps) when I'm on my phone or laptop near the iAqualink 2.0. But the darn iAqualink won't connect to the Orbi wifi network- it sees the network fine and gives me full bars, but it will not connect to it after I choose it and enter the (correct) password. Strangely, I can get the iAqualink to connect to my neighbor's WiFi with a weak signal, but that's not a good long term solution.

Anyway, if you did anything special to get them to connect, I'd appreciate you sharing. Thanks!

It may have to do with the ciphers you are using. Try changing them. I had to use an increased security cipher for one of my components. Ask your neighbor what he uses.

I have been having the same issue for months. Called Jandy a bunch of times. No luck. Even had them replace the iaqualink antenna. Didn’t help. I am convinced it’s a software issue on their end and I hope they figure it out soon. Very annoying. FWIW, I’m using the app on an iPhone X. What device are you using? Maybe app compatibility related? In fact, I just messed with mine a bunch on the app installed on my older iPad and it worked flawlessly.

I had that problem with my Orbi too when I first tried to set it up. One thing they don't mention which caused me a lot of frustration - iAqualink will not connect if you are in service mode. You have to be in Auto mode in order to make the WIFI connection.

Reactions: evad714

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.