Pressure Change on Sand Filter

G'Day All,
At the beginning of this season, I upgraded from a small cartridge filter system to a 22" sand filter. Installation went great, and my pool season was the easiest in memory. Upon initial start-up and through the season, the pressure guage showed 15lb, and rose slowly through the season to 18ish, so I never backwashed.

Last week, I went out to vacuum the pool, and didn't realize I had a hole in the vac hose. The pump proceeded to suck air for a couple minutes and lost prime until I realized there was problem and shut it down. I found the hole (this is the short version), fixed it, and proceeded to vacuum the pool. When I finished, I put everything away, and turned the pump back on. The guage showed 10lb. And ever since, it shows 10-11lb. Output is down accordingly.

Any ideas as to the cause of this or where to start looking? Thanks in advance for any help.

TJ.

Hi TJ,
I am new to pool maintenance and also new to the TFP site, the only advice I can give is to try posting the same question here...

Home » Board index » Swimming Pool Care » Just Getting Started

I posted and got some answers instantly.
I think this site is awesome, also it is good to know that I am not the only novice pool guy in this world.
Good Luck Mate.
regards Bill G from ever so sunny Cyprus.

Are you sure you set the valves back to normal? Sorry, I had to ask.

Otherwise, it sounds like you may have sucked up something while vacuuming. Most likely it is stuck in the impeller which will show up as a loss in pressure. Take out the pump basket and see if you can pull anything out. Hair is usually the culprit but it could be anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.