Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Change on Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Change on Sand Filter

G'Day All,
    At the beginning of this season, I upgraded from a small cartridge filter system to a 22" sand filter. Installation went great, and my pool season was the easiest in memory. Upon initial start-up and through the season, the pressure guage showed 15lb, and rose slowly through the season to 18ish, so I never backwashed.

Last week, I went out to vacuum the pool, and didn't realize I had a hole in the vac hose. The pump proceeded to suck air for a couple minutes and lost prime until I realized there was problem and shut it down. I found the hole (this is the short version), fixed it, and proceeded to vacuum the pool. When I finished, I put everything away, and turned the pump back on. The guage showed 10lb. And ever since, it shows 10-11lb. Output is down accordingly.

Any ideas as to the cause of this or where to start looking? Thanks in advance for any help.

TJ.
    21' AG, 10,000 gal, 22" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure Change on Sand Filter

Hi TJ,
    I am new to pool maintenance and also new to the TFP site, the only advice I can give is to try posting the same question here...

Home » Board index » Swimming Pool Care » Just Getting Started

I posted and got some answers instantly.
    I think this site is awesome, also it is good to know that I am not the only novice pool guy in this world.
    Good Luck Mate.
    regards Bill G from ever so sunny Cyprus.
    Fiberglass: Ocean Reef IG 12x24
    Hayward Salt System
    LED lighting
    Phantom cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there any air in the pump basket?

Have you bled the air out of the filter?

There should be a thumdwheel looking device on the side of the mulitport valve to bleed the air out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure you set the valves back to normal? Sorry, I had to ask.

Otherwise, it sounds like you may have sucked up something while vacuuming. Most likely it is stuck in the impeller which will show up as a loss in pressure. Take out the pump basket and see if you can pull anything out. Hair is usually the culprit but it could be anything.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

G'Day All,
    Thanks for all the ideas. Mark, you hit it on the head. Somehow a couple of leaves got past the basket. Had two of the impeller ports blocked, so down goes the flow, with the pressure. Thanks again.

TJ.
    21' AG, 10,000 gal, 22" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump